QJ Pop: Emmys entertain again

The Primetime Emmy Awards are my fourth favourite awards show. In order they rank: the Oscars (naturally), the Golden Globes, the Tonys and then the Emmys.

This list is in large part related to the number of musical numbers usually included in each show and the likelihood that something crazy will happen, like Beyoncé leading a chorus line or Ellen DeGeneres sharing pizza with Meryl Streep.

And while neither of those things occurred on Monday, Aug. 25, Bryan Cranston did make out with Julia Louis Dreyfus, Weird Al had a song/dance number, Gwen Stefani awkwardly mispronounced The Colbert Report and literally everyone made fun of Matthew McConaughey. So not a bad night, really.

Seth Meyers hosted very capably, with the kind of quippy, self-deprecating humour he made his trademark first on SNL and now on his own show, Late Night with Seth Meyers. His opening monologue was funny and smart, if not a little underwhelming following the giant productions led by previous award show hosts like Hugh Jackman, Neil Patrick Harris and Jimmy Fallon. It set a quick pace however, that promised we’d all get to bed before midnight as the show hurriedly launched into the awards.

Awards predictably, though not undeservedly, were presented to Julianna Margulies for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, and Jim Parsons for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. Similarly, Modern Family won its fifth consecutive award for Outstanding Comedy Series, overtaking the fresh and fascinating Orange is the New Black. The snubs to shows like The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the latter of which won the Golden Globe for Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy, were felt as the giant Modern Family crew took to the stage once again.

In a more refreshing vein, new and newly nominated shows like Fargo took home top prizes like Outstanding Miniseries and Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special. Fargo star Martin Freeman also won for his portrayal of Dr. Watson in BBC’s Sherlock.

Sherlock was one of the first big winners of the night, going on to win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for Benedict Cumberbatch’s portrayal of the famous detective himself, and Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special.

However the biggest winner of the night was Breaking Bad. I’m going to level with you — I’ve never watched Breaking Bad. When everyone was freaking out about the finale I was binge watching Gossip Girl and couldn’t get into it. Apparently, I really missed something when I was worrying about whether or not Chuck and Blair would ever really end up together (they did).

The show’s three principal characters played by Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn took home the awards for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, and Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, respectively. To top it off, the show won the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series. The award, the final of the evening, was presented by Halle Berry, who must have sold her soul for eternal youth years ago, as the talented actress looks better at 48 than any 19-year-old I’ve ever met.

The night also had a traditional salute to those who had departed this year, ending with a special tribute to Robin Williams by his friend, Billy Crystal. “He made us laugh — hard,” Crystal said thoughtfully, and the collective nods at home and in the Nokia Theatre in response were unanimously in agreement. Crystal’s speech was brief, but emotional, and followed by three quick clips of Williams’ first appearance on The Tonight Show and in televised stand-up specials.

Overall, the recipients of the Primetime Emmy Awards were frustratingly predictable, but the quality and breadth of the shows and performances nominated were encouraging and optimistic. And while I’m not sure I’d give the Emmy Awards an Emmy, they certainly provided a little glamour during a typically glamour-less Monday night.

Awards Show, Emmys, QJ Pop