QJ Pop: Role model behaviour

If you’re like me, you might sometimes be startled by allegedly very famous people that you’ve never heard of.

This past week that celebrity was Cara Delevigne, who is almost inescapably everywhere right now.

Who’s this squinty girl rumoured to be in the recording studio with Beyonce, sharing elevators with Reese Witherspoon on Instagram and hanging out with Taylor Swift?

In the age of the “so why are they famous?” celebrity, I couldn’t resist doing a little research.

A quick Google search reveals that Delevigne is a British supermodel, actress and singer, with a million-dollar smirk and trademark thick eyebrows. A little more in-depth browsing will reveal that the 22-year-old is a representative of everything teen girls want to be right now. She’s equally goofy and glam, and can go from sporting couture to pizza-print onesies in a 24-hour period.

She’s the elusive (and problematic) cool girl, who can flit between simpering sexuality and snowy innocence with ease, and loves partying, Call of Duty and McDonald’s.

The teenage itch for a relatable idol isn’t new, but Delevigne’s waifish tomboy prototype with a piece of pizza in one hand and Vogue in the other is.

The same thirst for authenticity that launched hundreds of “38 Reasons You Wish Jennifer Lawrence Was Your Best Friend” lists has found solace in the candidness of Delevigne’s personality.

She’s fast-talking, foul-mouthed and quirky. Delevigne is passionate, progressively-minded (she’s thrown full support behind the Free the Nipple Campaign) and accessible through massively followed Instagram and Twitter accounts.

Throw in a host of celebrity besties like Selena Gomez, model Jordan Dunn and Kendall Jenner, and rumoured boyfriends like Harry Styles, and Delevigne is a living teenage fantasy.

Her famous look, personality and lifestyle aren’t to overwhelm her host of accomplishments, though.

Delevigne was named “Model of the Year” at the British Fashion Awards in 2012 and 2014. She’s been the face of Burberry and walked for every major designer out there, from Chanel to Oscar de la Renta to Stella McCartney.

Delevigne has also ventured into the music world, having collaborated with Pharrell Williams on a song for a Chanel ad.

She and Beyonce made headlines last week when they each posted matching Instagram photos of their respective hands on the same mixing board.

2015 also marks the year Delevigne becomes a movie star. After several successful forays into film — including a role in 2012’s Anna Karenina and as the star of a Chanel short film — Delevinge’s versatile and emotive face will soon be coming to a theatre near you.

In the coming months, the native Londoner can be seen in the psychological thriller The Face of an Angel, the historical drama Tulip Fever and the next John Green film adaptation Paper Towns, amongst other films.

Delevigne appears to us as a girl uninterrupted: a mad mixture of Kate Moss, Edie Sedgwick, Chloe Sevigny and, crucially, something entirely her own. She’s a seemingly authentic version of the new it-girl fantasy, systematically conquering every facet of pop culture.

Cara Delevingne, instagram, Supermodel