10 Ways To Eat A Baguette

Usually priced under $2.00, a baguette goes a long way. A French specialty, the traditional baguette is made with wheat flour, water, yeast and salt, and consists of a crisp crust filled with a soft, fluffy center. Baguettes transform any sandwich or meal from lunch-box worthy into a more sophisticated and gourmet side or meal. Here are my suggestions for this often under-appreciated food staple.

1. Bruschetta: A traditional Italian appetizer of tomato, garlic, olive oil and basil served atop toasted baguette. Serve with a classic Caesar salad for an impressive yet simple summer meal.
Recipe

2. French Toast: A Sunday morning brunch classic, mix it up with cinnamon, banana or warmed apple.
Recipe

3. Classic Grilled Cheese: Easy to make with very few ingredients, a baguette will add a bite-sized twist to a classic childhood favourite.
Recipe

4. Served as a side with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip: If you’re feeling a little European, this adds culinary flare to any pasta dinner.

5. Garlic Bread: This adds flavor and acts as a nice appetizer for any meal and compliments a simple soup or salad, turning it into a more hearty meal.
Recipe

6. Toasted Bread with Chocolate (or Nutella): So simple yet so delicious! Pair it with a coffee or tea for a perfect dessert or study snack.
Recipe

7. Avocado BLT: Surprisingly easy to make and really tasty, it’s also a perfectly balanced meal!
Recipe

8. Croutons: a perfect use for bread that is a few days old. All you need is some seasoning of your choice, olive oil to coat the bread and help it toast, and an oven!
Recipe

9. Open-faced Brie (or cheddar if you’re on a budget), apple and arugula sandwich: Breakfast, lunch or dinner. ‘Nuff said.
Recipe

10. DIY Melba Toast: When bread is a few days old and a little too tough for a sandwich, cut the baguette into thin slices and brush with some olive oil and a herb of choice (basil or rosemary work well). Place on a pan in the oven and toast until golden brown and serve as an appetizer or finger food with a store-bought tapenade, hummus or pesto. Classy on the cheap.