Making Fast Food At Home

By Julia Vriend

Assistant Blogs Editor

It’s late on a Friday night and you’re craving some pizza. Unfortunately, you don’t feel like walking downtown and you’re short on cash. You’re also trying to convince yourself you’d rather have something healthy.

No worries. QJBlogs has found a way to create the same fast food taste you love right in the comfort of your own kitchen.

Pizza

All that starch and white flour in the pizza crust you find downtown isn’t ideal when you’re trying to be healthy. Try using a whole-wheat pita as your crust. Buy a bag and freeze them for convenience. Grab some of your favorite tomato sauce, spread it onto the open-faced pita and add your favourite toppings. When you’re ready, bake it in the oven for 8 minutes at 220 degrees C.
Try:

– Chicken, mozzarella cheese, spinach and tomato

– Black olives, pepperoni, green pepper and mozzarella cheese

– Tomato, spinach and feta cheese

– Ham, pineapple and a blend of cheddar/mozzarella cheese

– Or use no sauce, just olive oil and your favorite veggies

Dipping Sauce?

– Try ranch, Italian, Caesar, or BBQ sauce

Poutine

Craving some deep-fried goodness?

To keep things healthy, spray store-bought fries with olive oil before baking a light spray significantly reduces the amount of fat while making them crispy and healthy.

After your fries are golden to perfection, warm up some low-sodium canned gravy on the stove. Douse your fries with gravy and sprinkle with your favourite cheese (opt for cheese that is made with 2% milk).

Burgers

All that cheese grease are definitely regrettable the morning after.

Make a healthy choice without sacrificing the taste by making your own at home. To save time, use frozen store-bought patties that are made of lean beef or chicken; President’s Choice Blue Menu is a great option. If you’re a vegetarian opt for soy burgers or patties made with chickpeas and lentils; we like Gardenburger and Yves. Use whole-wheat buns and toast them in your toaster oven

Find some processed cheese slices or shredded cheese that is made with 2% milk. When your meat is cooked and ready turn the heat on low and place the cheese on top of the burger, allowing it to melt.

Add your onions and condiments and you’re good to go.

Try QJBlog’s Special Sauce:

– Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, and a little cayenne pepper.

Subs

When you’re craving some subs try to get buns that are whole grain, or at least whole-wheat (if you want even less carbs: switch over to some whole-wheat pitas, or wraps).

When you are getting meat for your subs, try avoiding roast beef and salami as they are high in sodium. Opt for some turkey, chicken, or ham instead. As mentioned above, choose a cheese that is made from 2% milk. Finally, top off your sub with all the veggies that you like, some of our favorites are iceberg lettuce, green peppers, and cucumbers.

Always check the label of the sauces that you use for your sub, specifically for added sugars and fats.

Kill those cravings and keep that body! Do you have any suggestions for homemade late night munchies? Let us know at journal_blogs@ams.queensu.ca .