1 Food, 5 Ways: Roast Chicken

By Trilby Goouch

Blogs Editor

For many of us, with the return of classes comes a return to tight budgets. With this in mind, there are many ways to economize in the kitchen, and one tip I picked up while being at home was the efficiency of buying single items and incorporating them into many meals. I started thinking about this type of grocery shopping when I discovered the extent to which our turkey leftovers sustained my family post-Christmas. Since I associate turkey with the holidays (and carrying a turkey home from Metro is no easy feat), I decided to focus on ways to make the most of a roast chicken. Chicken is one of the most versatile sources of protein out there, and the possibilities are seemingly endless when it comes to making simple and tasty meals that will take you through the week. You can buy your chicken pre-roasted or cook it yourself. If you’re roasting your own, check out how to here.

Chicken dinner: Pair with steamed or sautéed vegetables and a carbohydrate such as a baked (sweet) potato, rice or quinoa.
Tip: If opting for grains, enhance your meal with dried cranberries, olives, sundried tomatoes, parmesan or a touch of olive oil.

Chicken salad: Throw some shredded chicken breast onto a salad with your favourite dressing and vegetables.
Toppings: Avocado, almonds, tomatoes, olives, peppers, cucumber, sunflower seeds or sundried tomatoes.

Chicken curry: Use up the darker meat and pair with a package or can of curry paste/sauce. Simply cook your vegetables (you can use frozen veggies for convenience), add some spices, your sauce of choice and simmer on the stove over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Spices: Cumin, turmeric, garam masala.
Vegetables: Spinach, peas, cauliflower, carrot, sweet potato.

Chicken pizza: Use a whole wheat pita and top with a sauce, cheese, chicken and your favourite toppings. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 350F and serve.
Toppings: Mushrooms, olives, sundried tomatoes, spinach or onion.
Sauces: Pesto, tomato.
Cheese: Mozzarella, feta or gorgonzola.

Chicken Panini: Using a whole wheat baguette or sliced bread, grill the chicken with cheese, veggies and condiments of choice. Brush the outside of bread with olive oil, salt and pepper and if you don’t have a panini press, fry on the stove on medium heat, turning over every few minutes and pressing until cheese has melted.
Suggested combinations to pair with the chicken:

Pesto, mozzarella and tomato.

Dijon, brie and spinach.

Parmesan and tomato sauce.

Feta and sundried tomato.

Have other ideas on how to cook with a rotisserie chicken? Comment below!