Grey Cup game menu

After running over the Edmonton Eskimos last weekend, the Calgary Stampeders are facing the Hamilton Tiger-Cats this Sunday for the 102nd Grey Cup. What better way to celebrate than by hosting a barbeque blowout?

Barbeque season is drawing to a close so it’s important to take advantage of the weather while it’s still here. This Grey Cup meal is cooked entirely on the grill and features a balanced mix of protein and veggies.

If someone else is hosting, these items can be prepped at home and cooked on location. Make sure you get a good spot on the couch because this year’s Cup is going to be fun ― and delicious.

Sweet potato fries with simple aioli
Sweet potato fries are an easy fan favourite. Serving them with a garlic aioli will take them to the next level.

Ingredients:

-2 sweet potatoes

-A light drizzle of olive oil

-Ground cinnamon

-Steak spice

-2 tablespoons butter

Aioli

-½ cup mayonnaise

-1 clove garlic

-1 teaspoon olive oil

-1 teaspoon lemon juice

-Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. For the aioli, dice or crush the garlic and add it to the mayonnaise along with the olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper if desired. Set aside.

2. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into fries or wedges. Remember that thick wedges will take longer to cook through. Arrange the wedges on tin foil. Season with cinnamon and steak spice. Add one tablespoon of butter to each potato and a light drizzle of olive oil. Wrap the tin foil and set aside.

3. Place on grill at 375° and cook for 18-25 minutes.

* Make it hot! If you want to add a little kick to your potatoes, add a teaspoon of paprika.

Peanut butter chicken burgers with grilled peppers
These aren’t regular seasoned chicken burgers. We’re going to smear them in a rub and slather them in natural peanut butter and shawarma marinade.

Grilled peppers are a tasty way to get your veggie intake for the afternoon. When paired with the burgers, you’ve got big flavour for a big game.

Ingredients:

-2 red or yellow bell peppers

-1/4 cup diced onion

-1 tablespoon diced ginger

-1 clove diced garlic

-3/4 cup diced mushrooms

-A sprinkle of vegetable seasoning

-A drizzle of olive oil or coconut oil

Directions:

1. Cut peppers into three pieces, fill with mushrooms, onion, garlic and ginger, then sprinkle seasoning and oil.

2. Place on grill until the bottom of peppers are slightly charred (3-8 minutes). You’re looking for a little bit of black, not thick burn lines.

Chicken burgers

Rub:

-1 teaspoon brown sugar

-1 tablespoon salt

-1 tablespoon paprika

-½ tablespoon black pepper

-1 tablespoon onion powder

-1 tablespoon garlic powder

-½ tablespoon thyme

-1 teaspoon cayenne

Ingredients:

-3 chicken breasts or thighs

-3 burger buns

-Natural peanut butter, as desired

-Shawarma marinade, as desired

Directions:

1. Cut the breasts into cutlets by slicing them horizontally. Cover the chicken in rub (this can be done on game day or the night before).

2. Heat barbeque to 375°.

3. Grill chicken for 10-12 minutes, flipping once.

4. A couple minutes before your chicken is done, spread a thin layer of natural peanut butter on the bottom half of each bun and place buns on the grill, preferably on a raised rack. Grill until toasted.

5. Place the chicken on buns, top with shawarma marinade and serve.

Chicken burgers, Fries, Grilled peppers, Protein, sweet potatoes, Vegetables