Things In Kingston I Will Miss When I’m Gone: Part One

Coming to Kingston from a small town (and by “small town” I mean a population of about a thousand people—so yeah, actually small) was a huge step for me. Four years ago, I was too afraid to move to Montreal or Toronto so Kingston was it. For many Queen’s students, Kingston is a downsize—but I hate that word.

After a few years working at The Journal and being involved in Kingston arts and culture scene I know I’m going to miss many of Kingston’s small—but totally mighty—landmarks. So I’ve decided to chronicle all of my favourite haunts, in a series of blog posts I’m going to call “Things In Kingston I Will Miss When I’m Gone.” It’s a long title, I know—but this might be an extensive list of places. I’m feeling nostalgic and who knows where that could lead.

First on my list is Kingston’s artist-run center Modern Fuel. Today I was doing some very boring menial tasks downtown. It was rainy, cold and the wind was blowing—and then I realized I was only a block away from Modern Fuel, a free and always engaging art gallery. I’ve done anal art, danced, drank and been inspired at Modern Fuel. And today was no exception.

Currently in the main gallery is an exhibit by Élène Tremblay called Trail Proofs. Simple and quiet, Tremblay’s work is almost haunting. Against a backdrop of various concrete urban landscapes, Tremblay photographs and takes video footage of people in various poses—standing, sitting, laying down and standing. Sitting alone in the quaint gallery, I lost track of time.

In the side gallery, two BFA students and friends Carlyn Bezic and Cecily Taylor have a show entitled The Number of Days. Using a variety of materials, scrap paper, collage materials and what might be considered trash Bezic and Taylor create something beautiful and collaborative.

Thanks for four lovely years of art and offbeat parties Modern Fuel. I’ll be back to visit. I’m a sucker for free things.