Apps to stay on track

With the beginning of another school year comes a new course load and more responsibilities. Comparmentalizing your tasks and prioritizing various responsibilities may seem like a challenge after the slow pace of summer, but these five free applications will bring about organization and productivity to your school year.

Wunderlist: This is the ideal task manager app. Wunderlist allows users to create lists for multiple occasions and is particularly helpful for organizing and scheduling course readings, house chores and grocery shopping. This app also offers users the ability to share their lists by email or Facebook and has the ability to sort list items alphabetically. The simple and clean design allows for easy navigation between different lists and tasks.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, Android

Evernote: This app prevails as a multi-faceted project management tool, storing notes, picture, web links, audio clips and reminders, all while being incredibly easy to use. The search capabilities and tagging function allow users to quickly filter notes and find what they need. Audio notes enable users to store various clips and written notes in one convenient place.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Blackberry

Pocket: Saving articles and videos for later reading or viewing is made easy with this app. I find this app especially useful when I’m browsing my Twitter feed and am able to save web articles on-the-go. Pocket will be particularly useful for courses heavy in online readings, and the tagging function will allow you to further organize your readings for easy navigation later on.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry

Songza: I am grateful that there’s an app that saves me the time and hassle of creating music playlists of my own. Songza always notes the current day of the week and time and offers music recommendations for a particular activity or mood. The app also groups music by decades, genre and culture, so whether you need continuous workout music or the right playlist to unwind after hours of in-class lecture, Songza has you covered.

Mint.com Personal Finance: Student budgeting and financial constraints are made simpler with this app’s easy money management. Having your financial data at your finger tips helps put into perspective where you’re spending and where you could be saving, especially with Mint categorizing your transactions. Viewing up-to-date information about my spending is especially helpful and definitely has had me rethinking splurging once or twice by tracking my recent expenses.

Available on: iPhone, iPad, Android

Apps, Smartphones