Seasonal cinema picks

Superheroes and slightly less original heroes are the keystones of the 2014 summer movie season. Marvel and DC Comics have thrown money into the Captain America, X-Men, and Spiderman superhero films that we have all seen advertised.

The slightly less original heroes stem from the movie reboots and book-to-film adaptations we see in 2014, including The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

These films promise lots of action, romance, and ridiculously beautiful actors, but there are some other films worth your while to watch (with an exceptional reboot thrown in).

Here’s a list of movies coming out this summer that will make you laugh, cry or wish Breaking Bad had a sixth season running.

Neighbors — If you haven’t seen Neighbors yet, then you’re missing out on a hysterical comedy that will ring a few bells. Zac Efron, a pretty-boy frat leader, wars with Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne, a couple trying desperately to stay youthful with a baby on board, when his fraternity moves in next door. Full of elaborate hijinks and raunchy humour, this comedy will make you wish you lived next door to pranksters like these.

Godzilla — For those of you pining for the return of the beloved Heisenberg, the latest attempt at creating a Godzilla film will bring you tidings of joy. The classic Japanese thriller about a gigantic, dinosaur-like monster terrorizing Tokyo has been remade with a stellar cast and excellent visual effects. With a line-up including Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe, this fun sci-fi thriller is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat and hoping Cranston will play another brilliant scientist very soon.

The Giver — If The Giver wasn’t on your high school reading syllabus, then you’ll be lucky enough to see this classic dystopian novel played out on the big screen in August. The movie follows the life of Jonas, a young man living in a world where The Giver assigns jobs to every person. Jonas’ job throws him into moral turmoil and forces him to question the society he lives in. The cast, including Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges, promises to bring a new oomph to this classic novel.

Obvious Child — In theatres in June, this film is the lighter-hearted summer comedy you’re looking for that isn’t the disappointing The Other Woman. Jenny Slate of Parks and Recreation plays Donna Stern, a comedian from Brooklyn who winds up in all sorts of bad situations right before Valentine’s Day. Touching on some more difficult subjects with a witty sense of humour, Obvious Child will keep you smiling until the very end.

Boyhood — Finally premiering after 12 years of filming, Richard Linklater’s masterpiece is well worth the wait. Boyhood tells the story of Mason from the age of five to 18 as he goes through all the ups and downs of childhood and adolescence. The beauty of this film is that Mason literally grows up in front of the audience and brings back memories of the early 2000s that many of us have forgotten. Boyhood’s roller coaster of emotions and beautiful filming will be a movie experience you will never forget.

Movies