Black takes EngSoc reins

‘It’s going to be a big year for the Engineering Society’

Engineering Society President-elect Jordan Black (left) says he hopes to establish more oversights and financial accountability within the society next year.
Image by: Peter Sinclair

For the incoming Engineering Society executive, there’s nowhere to go but up.

Massive budget cuts, the Clark Hall Pub closure and a racist incident involving males in engineering jackets have amounted to a rough year for Queen’s engineering students.

President-elect Jordan Black, Sci ’09, said his clear vision of where he wants to take EngSoc next year helped him win the election.

“We need more oversights, more financial accountability, more operational oversights,” he said. “It’s going to be a big year for the Engineering Society.”

Black said Clark Hall Pub had to close, but he hopes it can be reopened by September.

“It was very personally difficult to see it close, but I recognize it was necessary,” he said.

Black’s vision of accountability involves clearer communication with students, including sending the message that racism won’t be tolerated.

“[Racism] is not acceptable; it will never be acceptable.

“We have to work toward a general knowledge among students that it is not something that

can continue.”

There were 828 votes cast out of approximately 2,400 eligible voters.

Chief Returning Officer Mark Syer refused to release the percentage of votes each candidate received.

“I don’t feel it’s necessary to give that information,” he said. “Ultimately I made the

final decision.

“I don’t believe it’s necessary for the final numbers to be given out—just the final candidates.

“I’ll review the [election] policy myself and if I determine the numbers are necessary to give out, I will.”

Black’s opponent Mitchell Curley, Sci ’08, said he’ll remain vocal in the society and hopes Black will carry out his promises.

He agreed Clark Hall Pub needed to close in order to regroup, but said it has to reopen.

“I’m a little disappointed because I actually wanted the position, but Jordan ran the better campaign,” Curley said.

Outgoing EngSoc President Charlie Scott said he didn’t feel Clark’s closure was a defining aspect of the election.

“I’m excited about the new executive. … They’re bright-eyed and bushy tailed, which is very beneficial,” he said.

The incoming vice-presidents are Vice-President (Operations) Marinos Tryphonas,

Vice-President (Society Affairs) Chris Bimm and Vice-President (Student Development) Andy Nishimura.

Tryphonas said Clark was a major focus of his campaign.

“Clark was under the spotlight and that really falls under accountability.”

He said he plans to hire a permanent staff member and an accountant to keep the pub’s operations in order.

Tryphonas also hopes to improve transparency throughout the society.

“I want people to know what’s going on with the EngSoc.”

Adam Zabrodski will resume his position as vice-president (academic) because no one ran for the position.

Nominated to serve for a second year and voted in by council, Zabrodski said he feels he has already established contacts that will help make the curriculum for applied science students

more efficient.

“It’s mostly going to be a lot of meetings,” Zabrodski said.

Nishimura won his candidacy by about 20 votes. Syer said the rest were votes of confidence with wide margins of approval.