Redefining campus activism

Municipal Affairs Commissioner offers a new take on taking a stand

By getting involved
Image by: Tyler Ball
By getting involved

After the cheering of frosh week has faded and text books have been purchased, most students realize that, for the sake of their sanity, they need a life outside the lecture hall.

Whether you’re more inclined to hit the intramural court or help kids learn to read, finding a place in the Queen’s community is a rewarding experience.

But warm and fuzzy feelings aside, getting involved in a club or committee during your first year can help you burst the residence bubble, putting you in touch with upper-years, campus and Kingston.

Paul Tye, the municipal affairs commissioner, is responsible for providing opportunities for students to get involved in Kingston. He said he deeply regrets that he was not actively involved on campus during his first year.

“There is a false idea that first years will have no spare time and spend every minute in Stauffer,” he said. “This is not only untrue but it unfortunately discourages so many first-years from becoming involved.”

Tye, ArtSci ‘09, said he applied for his position because he saw a need for stronger student citizenship in Kingston.

“This means being an activist for student interests in the community but also facilitating opportunities for students to connect with those around them,” he said.

Tye said activism takes on a new meaning here at Queen’s.

“Activism does not have to be negative or reactionary,” he said. “To me it means being actively engaged in your surroundings. It is formulating an opinion on something or a stance and dedicating yourself to it.”

Of course, Tye said, real activism requires a strong passion for the subject.

Tye witnessed that passion in this year’s AMS executive and said their excitement is the highest he’s ever seen it since starting here at Queen’s.

“[The executive] has a real commitment to changing the AMS, opening it up and making it work for students,” he said.

Due to the diverse options of clubs and organizations, students have a variety of ways to get involved. Even though the committees are only doing small acts, Tye said, their impact is profound.

Kaleidoscope, a committee devoted to helping children read, demonstrates the importance of non-monetary activism.

“The child that [the Queen’s student] is mentoring may finish reading an entire story for the first time and discover the love of reading,” Tye said.

Tye said to understand Queen’s, a person needs to get involved.

—With files from Madison Bettle