Moore sets school record

Guard puts up 40 points in victory over RMC Paladins

Queen’s guard Brittany Moore drives against RMC’s Samantha Bayne (9) and Anna Dupuis (15) Wednesday. Moore scored a school-record 40 points in the Gaels’ 79-64 victory.

Brittany Moore put on an impressive scoring display for the Gaels as the women’s basketball team defeated the winless Royal Military College Paladins 79 to 64 on Wednesday evening. Moore finished the game with a school-record 40 points. It was a night to remember as she went 13 for 24 from the field, including making a remarkable 11 three-pointers and adding three points from the free throw line. She also finished the game with five assists and a steal.

Moore was not alone on the scoresheet for the Gaels, Alaina Porter and Jill Wheat scored 10 and nine points respectively and combined for 16 rebounds.

Head coach Dave Wilson said his team played well offensively as a unit.

“On offence our players did a very good job recognizing that Brittany was hot and getting her the ball,” he said. “Our team wouldn’t care if one person scored all the points so long as they win.”

Wilson said it was a special game for Moore but it wasn’t a selfish showing.

“We’re just thrilled for her,” he said. “However, I’m sure she’d trade the 40 points in for a win any day.”

The defensive side of the ball was a completely different story in Wilson’s eyes. RMC penetrated the Queen’s defence and got to the paint consistently throughout the game.

“I’m not very happy with the way we played defensively,” Wilson said. “Our individual one-on-one defence was poor. We spent the last three days practicing the offence; we now have to turn our attention to defence.” With two more games at home to finish the week, Wilson said the team’s performance will not necessarily be measured on the scoreboard, but rather in the quality of their play and the number of mental mistakes they can eliminate.

“We need to see progression in our games, always getting better,” he said. “If we do that, more often that not we’ll be successful. Our strength comes from between the ears and if we can read and react well, we’ll do well.” As a rookie last season, Moore led the CIS in three-point shooting with an outstanding 45.8 per cent mark and was named the OUA East Rookie of the Year. But, hitting those shots has proved tougher for her this season; even with Wednesday’s performance, her three-point percentage has dropped to 37.8 per cent on the year.

Moore said it was just a matter of sticking to her game and waiting for the points to come.

“It was just nice that they started to drop for me,” she said. “My three-point statistics weren’t the same as last year in first semester. It was great to see a few go in.”

Moore felt Queen’s increased their level of play as the game went on.

“Our energy level definitely kept rising,” she said. “When someone gets going everyone feeds off of it.”

Moore said the team still needs to work on the little things.

“It’s stuff like taking care of the ball in our own end and focusing on the basics, making the smart decisions.”

Queen’s will host the 1-9 York Lions and the 5-5 Laurentian Voyageurs this weekend.

“We need to come out against York and Laurentian with more hustle and energy from the beginning,” Moore said. “Especially against York as that’s the team that we need to fight for a playoff spot with.” The Gaels now sit in a tie for fifth in the OUA East standings with a record of 4-6 and will look to improve on that mark over the weekend.

The Gaels will face the York Lions at 6 p.m. tonight and the Laurentian Voyageurs at 6 p.m. tomorrow. Both games will be in Bartlett Gym.