Team KAM bring their experience to CESA

“We’ve focused our platform on three main goals and that’s communication, professionalism and representation.”

Team KAM–Mike Brinkworth, ConEd ’10, Katie Shifman, ConEd ’09 and Allison Sullovey, ConEd ’09 –are running uncontested for the Concurrent Education Students Association executive. Brinkworth is running for president, Shifman is running for vice-president (external) and Sullovey is running for vice-president (internal).

Brinkworth said he, Shifman and Sullovey see running for CESA executive as a long-term goal.

“We’ve been involved with CESA since we got here,” he said. “This has kind of been a goal for us all along.”

Brinkworth said his extensive experience on CESA has prepared him for the top job.

“I think I have the experience to know what’s been good and what’s been not so good over the past few years.”

He said he thinks CESA currently lacks professionalism and organization and could improve its communication with its members.

Brinkworth said CESA is currently in the process of rewriting its constitution, in the hopes of completing it by the Annual General Meeting this March.

“As it stands, it’s very difficult to change our constitution. You can only do it once a year.”

Brinkworth said he wants to hire a Communications Director for next year.

“Their job is to establish a concise message for the council,” he said. “We’d also like to increase access to the council,” adding that he also plans to hold more office hours and class visits, and establish a less formal environment to discuss concerns.

Brinkworth said he hopes ConEd students vote next week, even though only one team is running.

“I think it’s an important thing to exercise your right to vote, regardless of how many names are on the ballot, to show your support.

“Being such a small faculty, many students have a personal relationship with the students that are running,” he said. “You’re not voting blind. You’re making more of an informed decision in that sense.”

Shifman said she and her teammates want to use their experience to give back to CESA.

“We’ve all been on CESA before and we’ve all really been involved in everything, every aspect of ConEd, and we really wanted to do something to increase that.”

Shifman said she thinks it’s essential for students to vote in order to show the candidates they want them to make a difference.

“I just think it’s really important for everybody to go out and vote.”