Resident arrested in child porn bust confirmed as Queen’s student & 2008 Olympian

University District

John David Burnes was arrested on Feb. 4 on charges of possession of child pornography and one count of making child pornography available

John David Burns, ArtSci '10 and the youngest member of the 2008 Olympic archery team, is facing charges of possession of child pornography and one count of making child pornography available. His next scheduled court date is May 5.

The Kingston man charged with possession of child pornography and one count of making child pornography available has been confirmed as Queen’s student and 2008 Olympian, John David ‘J.D.’ Burnes.

Burnes, ArtSci ’10, was one of 31 people arrested and charged in last week’s provincewide crack down on online child pornography.

In August, Burnes competed in archery at the Beijing Olympics, coming in 63rd in the individual competition but helping his team reach the quarterfinals in the team competition.

Burnes’ coach Joan McDonald told The Canadian Press that the situation was tragic.

“It's always a tragedy when young people are in trouble,” she said.

Burnes’ next scheduled court appearance is May 5.