Student writing: a colourful history

A brief history of the AMS student publications, what they’ve done and where they are today

If your creative writing covers a broad range of themes, don’t worry—so do the publications.

Undergraduate Review, Queen’s Feminist Review, Ultraviolet Magazine, OutWrite: A Queer, CultureSHOCK, HeadsUP

Undergraduate Review

The Arts and Science Society’s Undergraduate Review is the oldest student publication on campus. It began in 1989 and the first co-editors were John Hannaford and Matthew Taylor, both ArtSci ’89. UR began with the idea of collecting diverse and outstanding academic articles submitted by undergraduate students. The goal was to set a standard of excellence to match the overall calibre of Queen’s as
an institution.

UR used to charge $5 per copy but became entirely non-profit in 1993, getting the bulk of its funding from ASUS fees. The review didn’t publish photography or poetry until the fourth issue in 1992. It was also the first review to publish a CD, in 1996, which included tunes from Queen’s Bands and Big Electric Cat. In 2000, UR began moving away from academic essays, focusing more on creative pieces.

UR is now in its 21st year and its launch will be on Wednesday, Apr. 1 at Common Ground. If you’re interested in getting involved with the magazine, contact this year’s co-editor at 6mm37@queensu.ca for more information.

—Madison Bettle

Queen’s Feminist Review

In September of 1992, a group of women came together with the intention of publishing a collection of essays, fiction and poetry by Queen’s undergraduate women. In 1993, it became an official publication under the AMS’s Social Issues Commission.

QFR received their funds from ASUS Gifts, department of English, OPIRG and the department of women’s studies. It published issues ranging from feminism and international relations, mother-daughter poetry,
child-rearing, rape, sexuality, ideas of beauty and female perception.

QFR believed women should reflect on the things that made them proud to be a woman and defined that as feminism. It hoped to encompass the diversity of the feminist experience through various mediums. QFR is a visible forum for feminist artistic expression.

Since 2003, QFR has asked the question: why feminism? Responding: because we’ve come so far and because there’s far to go. Last year, QFR held Dancing on the Glass Ceiling at Alfie’s and raised over $500. They also made a deal with The Tea Room that for every pound of a certain brand of coffee sold, they would donate $1 to the women’s shelter in Kingston. Today, QFR accepts submissions from the Queen’s and Kingston communities.

QFR is 17 years old. Tentatively, QFR’s launch will be on Apr. 2. For confirmation on the date and place, please email QFR’s co-editors at qfr.2009@gmail.com.

—Madison Bettle

Ultraviolet Magazine

Ultraviolet Magazine launched for the first time in spring of 1996 with an editorial board consisting of Melissa Klugger, ArtSci ’98, Matt Crookshank, Ari Berger, Ian Stewart and Queen’s creative writing instructor Carolyn Smart. UV was established to provide local writers with an opportunity to publish their creative work.

Kluger and her co-workers applied to the AMS Board of Directors and the Special Projects Committee to get the magazine underway. On Apr. 3, 1997, UV went to referendum to establish a 65-cent opt-out student fee to ensure the future of the publication. In February of 2007, that fee increased to
75 cents.

In 1999, 2000 and 2001, UV produced a CD with sponsorship from Much Music and, for the last two CDs, with the help of LaBatt Breweries. The Juno-nominated band Bedouin Soundclash was published on the 2000 UV CD.

UV has showcased the work of famous writers and poets such as Michael Crummey and Sherwin Tjia.

In spring of 2006, UV had its 10-year anniversary and invited first-time UV editor Melissa Kluger back to Kingston to appear at their launch. UV is now in its 13th year and plans to co-host the launch with UR at Common Ground on Apr. 1. UV has also produced its fourth CD this year. If you’re interested in getting involved with the magazine, contact this year’s co-editors at ultraviolet_mag@hotmail.com for
more information.

—Madison Bettle

OutWrite: A Queer

Before becoming a creative publication, OutWrite existed in the form of “Your Queer Community,” a publication started by Chris Veldhoven in fall of 1996 that informed its readers on queer issues at Queen’s and in Kingston. The funding for the publication came from the AMS Special Projects Fund and the Graduate Student Society.

It wasn’t until 2003 that OutWrite first put forth its proposal to become a queer creative publication. It was first established by Nadia Guidotto and Emily Arvay with the support from the AMS, Education of Queer Issues Project, other student publications and the Sleepless Goat. It was created in order to give all lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans-identified members of the community, as well as their allies, a creative outlet to voice their diverse life experiences.

Volume 1 of OutWrite came out the following year as financially and autonomously separate from EQuIP and became an official publication under the Social Issues Commission. The publication is currently in its seventh year. Its launch date is on Mar. 21st at Clark Hall Pub at 8 p.m. For more information, contact the chair at 7md5@queensu.ca.

—Madison Bettle

CultureSHOCK

Originally known as The Anti-Racism Review, CultureSHOCK was first published in 1996 under the Social Issues Commission. The first edition of the review was entitled Queen’s Colours, named by then-AMS education commissioner Lorine Remedios and was created because of the strong need for a forum on issues such as racism, culture, ethnicity, multiculturalism, identity and diversity. The funding for this publication came from the AMS Council of 1995-96.

Surface, an out-spoken newspaper no longer in existence at Queen’s, had discussed this
hotly debated topic and its dialogue sparked a campaign run by the AMS’s Committee Against Racism and Ethnic Discrimination which experienced a 300 per cent increase in membership in that same year. From there, Kingston’s first
Anti-Discrimination Week was born.

As CultureSHOCK, the publication is now in its 10th year. Their launch is set for Mar. 31 at the Grad Club at 8 p.m. For more information, contact the co-chairs at
cultureshock10@gmail.com.

—Madison Bettle and Kathryn McDonald

HeadsUP

As the first mental health awareness
publication at Queen’s, HeadsUP originally existed under the Mental Health Awareness Comittee (MHAC), which is part of the Social Issues Commission. It was first published in 2007 and funded by MHAC, the Student Initiative Fund and the psychology department student council. The following year, the publication was funded by the Cold Beverage Exclusitivity Fund.

The publication was established to create a forum for communication between students on the topic of mental health and to broaden the school population’s understanding of what mental illness is and that it can affect any and all of us. Its main objective is to open up a dialogue and deconstruct the stigma surrounding
these issues.

HeadsUP is currently in its
third year of existence. Their launch will be at Common Ground on
Mar. 26 at 7 p.m. For more information about the magazine, contact the chair
at headsupqueens@gmail.com.

—Madison Bettle