No-tuition model too elitist

Columnist Heather Mallick proposed abolishing tuition fees to keep university enrolment down in a CBC News analysis and viewpoint article Feb. 27.

Mallick argues that universities have lowered their standards. She suggests that, without the lure of more student money, universities would be pickier in the admissions process and only accept students “with a realistic chance of success.”

She writes that universities would become places to learn rather than a prerequisite for the high-paying job.

Although Mallick correctly points out what is an increasing problem of universities becoming degree-churning mills, her proposed solution is flawed.

If universities are concerned about their quality, they should change admission requirements rather than tuition. In the current economic environment, more people are turning to higher education as an investment for future security and, instead of limiting students’ opportunities, people should look at making education more accessible to a greater number of people.

There appears to be a trend of employers requiring at least an undergraduate degree in order for an applicant to be competitive.

Beginning in Ontario high schools, students are streamed into university or college programs, with university usually seen as the intellectually superior path.

But the learning and living experiences college students also receive shouldn’t be underestimated. College programs, which simply have a different, more hands-on teaching style, shouldn’t be stigmatized.

High-school students should be encouraged to go into programs that complement their learning style. That way, instead of limiting students who want to attend university from doing so, it’s likely fewer students would apply for university in the first place.

Students should be charged a minimal amount in tuition so they have bargaining power to hold their university accountable for providing a high-quality education.

Mallick brings up interesting ideas to reform the university system but loses them in her elitism.

Instead of prioritizing university, the focus should shift to making all post-secondary education accessible and valuable.