Admissions balance is better

U.S. student applications to Canadian universities are on the rise, the Globe and Mail reported May 18. In hard economic times, the lower cost of a Canadian education is luring more American students to schools north of the border.

This year, almost 9,000 American students chose a Canadian post-secondary education, compared to 2,300 Americans 12 years ago.

With visions of benefits like more tuition dollars, a richer international climate on campus and a higher-profile reputation for its schools, the Canadian government has launched increased recruiting efforts to help tap into the pool of American applicants.

It’s hard to gauge how significant the rise in American students really is, given that university applications are likely higher in general than they were 12 years ago. However, it’s refreshing to see a variation on the classic “brain drain” of talented Canadian students being won over by offers from well-reputed American universities.

Despite paying international tuition fees often three to five times the price of what Canadians pay, American students would pay even more exorbitant fees at home. Those who choose Canadian universities are surely getting a bargain without sacrificing the quality of their education.

It’s unfortunate these students are often faced with the misconception that they weren’t accepted into their choice schools in the States.

The financial benefits of attracting more international students who pay higher fees are apparent, but it’s important to maintain a careful balance between financial security and ensuring enough available places at Canadian universities for home-grown talent.

Although it’s proactive to market a Canadian education south of the border in order to increase funding, this could turn into a slippery slope.

It would be a shame to bump qualified Canadian students out of the pool of successful applicants at top schools in their own country, especially when it’s their families who pay tax dollars to subsidize education.

Canadian schools should value a balance between accepting promising local and international students in order to provide for taxpayers while encouraging diversity on campuses.

In the meantime, as Canadians we should be proud our universities are playing a greater role competing for applicants on the international stage.