Women’s soccer takes top points

Gaels blast combined six goals past Laurentian and Nipissing during weekend homestand

Gaels forward Kelli Chamberlain rises for a header against Nipissing defender Justine Carlyle during Sunday’s 3-1 home victory.
Image by: Christine Blais

The women’s soccer team enjoyed a successful weekend at Richardson Stadium with a 3-0 win over the Laurentian Lady Vees on Saturday and a 3-1 win over the Nipissing Lady Lakers on Sunday.

The wins vaulted the Gaels to third in the OUA East with 10 points.

Kelli Chamberlain scored a pair of goals on Saturday, with fellow striker Renee MacLellan adding one. Elena Corry recorded the clean sheet in goal. On Sunday, MacLellan continued her strong weekend with another goal, with Riley Filion and Jennifer Hutchinson joining her on the scoresheet.

Chamberlain said in-game adjustments led Queen’s to success.

“I think today [against Nipissing] we played well. We had some mental lapses but we fixed it and ended up coming up with a good result,” she said.

Chamberlain said a hard week on the practice field paid off.

“I think we pulled a lot things we did in practice into the games,” she said. “We’ve been doing that since the beginning of the year, which has really been helping us. We worked on a lot of set piece and I think we’re getting a lot better at them. “

Head coach Dave McDowell said he was impressed with the Gaels’ second-half adjustments.

“I think both cases we went in at half time thinking that we’d missed some opportunities to be up a little bit more that we were,” McDowell said. “I thought our ability to go a little bit deeper on our bench certainly helped. It’s nice to have fresh legs to go in and raise the energy level, especially in the second game of the weekend.”

McDowell said he didn’t see any glaring mistakes in his team’s play.

“Quite honestly a lot of the times we got everything right in terms of the right technique,” McDowell said. “I think we’re going to be fairly potent in creating offensive chances. Defensively, we’re pretty well organized.”

McDowell said the Gaels used the games as a platform to enter a very busy schedule in the next two weeks that will see them play five games in eight days.

The Gaels will play Royal Military College and the Trent Excalibur next weekend, both winless, before traveling to the University of Ottawa for a mid-week tilt against the undefeated Gee-Gees.

“The Ottawa game on Wednesday is a big game for us but the four other games will be tough as well,” McDowell said. “I think not looking past anybody and making sure we’re focused for 90 minutes on who we’re playing and moving some players around so we’re ready for each one will be important.”

Queen’s travels across the peninsula to Royal Military College at 1 p.m. on Saturday.