Women’s hockey keeps streak rolling

Pair of road wins last weekend keep Gaels ranked seventh in Canada as they extend their winning streak to three

The women’s hockey team knocked off the Windsor Lancers and Western Mustangs on the road this weekend, extending their winning streak to three games.

The win moved the Gaels to a 9-2-1 record, maintaining their seventh-place national ranking.

Captain Alison Bagg said she’s excited at the prospects for the rest of the season.

“This is the best sort of position that the team’s been in at this point since I’ve been here,” the fifth-year defenseman said. “We’ve got a really good record, and we know that we could be doing even a little bit better, so we’re really excited to play our next games and see how the rest of the season goes.”

Although it was their second game in fewer than 22 hours, having beaten the Lancers 3-1 on Saturday night, the Gaels pushed hard and jumped out to an early 1-0 lead against the Mustangs. Western controlled the game for the rest of the period, but Queen’s took over again in the second.

A five-minute powerplay and goal for Western refocused the Gaels. Forward Kelsey Thomson scored her second goal of the game and forward Elizabeth Kench scored her fourth goal of the season and set up forwards Kristin Smith and Morgan McHaffie to propel Queen’s to a commanding 5-1 win.

Bagg said she was happy with the team’s performance on Sunday. “We really started to capitalize on our opportunities,” she said. “In the past several games we’ve been getting a lot of shots, so it was really nice to see us take advantage of those and score five times, it was a really good game.”

Goaltender Mel Dodd-Moher, who recorded 29 stops against the Mustangs and 24 against the Lancers, is second in the OUA in wins, goals against average and save average. Kench, Thomson and forward Becky Conroy are the top three scorers in the OUA.

The Mustangs had beaten the Gaels the last time the two teams faced off.

“We just wanted to make sure that we took them as seriously as any other team,” Bagg said. “We lost to them in overtime the first time we played them this year and we didn’t want to repeat that, so we just made sure we pushed it like every other game.”

The Gaels hope to continue their winning streak when they play against the UOIT Ridgebacks in Oshawa next Sunday.