Let Glenn Beck speak

Conservative radio and television host gives a voice to the voiceless

The host of his own Fox News television show
Image supplied by: Supplied

Although I don’t agree with anything he says, Glenn Beck makes an important offering to the American political discourse.

For one, the television and radio host gives voice to a large group of people in the United States.

Second, his irrational method of arguing is effective because the concerns of the group he represents are emotional—not logical—concerns.

Finally, just because the arguments of a group are emotional doesn’t make them less valuable than their logical counterparts.

A frequent subject of broadcasts like The Colbert Report and The Daily Show, the 45 year-old Beck provides hours of riff-worthy material.

I should know—I’m among those laughing the hardest at him on a regular basis.

He’s gained international attention for his style of presentation and the views he presents in his self-titled Fox News television broadcast, Glenn Beck.

Beck has addressed issues from the art on either side of the entrance to NBC headquarters showing, in his view, that the building is full of Communists, to his belief President Barack Obama is racist.

Let’s not forget his explosive tantrum on his radio program when a caller took issue with his opinions on healthcare.

Despite his melodramatic approach and seemingly outrageous conclusions, his perspective is valid and important.

One need only look to the American Tea Party protests against healthcare reform to see why.

These protests have been widely covered by Fox News and other American news networks whose broadcasts show there’s a large portion of Americans who are fearful of negative changes resulting from health-care reform.

By examining these issues and airing these concerns—especially the way he does—Beck gives that same large group a chance to have their fears addressed.

These fears aren’t rooted in logical points or problems with the impending legislation. Instead, they arise out of raw emotion.

The proposals to reform healthcare have many people running scared much in the same way President Barack Obama’s campaign in 2008 inspired millions of Americans to believe again in themselves and their country.

Both the presidential campaign and the health-care debate have produced profoundly emotional reactions.

The President has articulated time and time again there isn’t cause for concern on health care, but their fears remain.

These aren’t rational arguments. They’re deeply emotional arguments that must be overall addressed with passion.

Facts are optional in this kind of debate.

That’s why Beck approaches issues in the way he does—the people he represents don’t think with their minds, but with their hearts.

Bringing attention to their fears is valuable because it shows these fears have yet to be addressed. The only time this type of argument would cease in value is when those fears no longer exist.

Emotional concerns aren’t less valuable than logical points. There seems to be a preference in society for argumentative points that can be backed up by hard evidence. But these arguments aren’t always the best way to support an opinion.

For example, emotion is often the reason for which we fight wars, buy luxury goods and why we are kind to each other.

We fight because we think the other party is evil or has done something wrong.

We buy things we don’t need because we are greedy or because we believe they will make us happy.

We’re kind to each other because we think it’s the right thing to do or it makes us feel good. Emotions are the primary force behind human action and because they are so important we should talk about them and—yes—make arguments based upon them.

So when Beck articulates the emotional fears of any group of Americans in an emotional way, it’s valuable because he represents how they think and feel.

Giving a voice to the voiceless in a way that accurately represents them is profoundly democratic.

It ensures every opinion is heard, no matter how stupid, insensitive or insane those opinions may seem.

The issue really comes down to free speech. The more opinions are aired, the more educated we can be about each other.

By having Beck articulate the concerns of the fearful, the greater chance there is for the fearful having their concerns addressed.

It goes without saying everyone’s concerns deserve to be addressed—not just those who happen to think in logical terms.

He’s not perfect, but I challenge anyone to find a more effective voice for the conservative right than Glenn Beck.