COMPSA brings orientation back

Computing events need to be successful this year to get off probation, High Tech says

COMPSA orientation, which was put on probation at Arts and Science Faculty Board on Nov. 13, has been conditionally reinstated.

Incoming High Tech Daniel Basilio ArtSci ’12, said when he came into his position, he was told COMPSA would only be allowed to run two events during orientation week and the remainder of the events would be planned by the Arts and Science Orientation Committee (AOC).

Basilio said he realized there had been miscommunication between the previous High Tech and the administration. To rectify this, he and other members from the Tech Committee chose to appeal the decision.

“We put together an appeal package with support from current students, in undergrad and grad degrees, alumni, faculty and staff in Computer Science and with support from SOARB [Senate Orientation Activities Review Board] and the 2008-09 PRT Executive,” he said.

SOARB is a Senate committee that observes and monitors the different faculties’ orientation weeks.

Basilio said the package was more than 100 pages in length. The package was then shown to Associate Dean of Studies Hugh Horton and Dean of Arts and Science Alistair MacLean.

“Following our meeting with the Dean, we created a proposal package for what we wished to gain from our appeal and what we wanted to get out of Orientation Week 2010,” he said. “A modified version of one of our proposals was accepted.”

Basilio said some of the conditions for reinstatement include remaining on probation, that all academic events be planned and run by the Arts and Science Undergraduate Society and that the Associate Dean of Studies signs off on all events, academic and social.

In order to get off probation, Basilio said computing events need to be successful—as defined by AOC reports—demonstrate constructive teamwork with Arts and Science leaders and administration and meet all deadlines laid out by AOC, SOARB and the Associate Dean of Studies.

Basilio said if these conditions aren’t met, they’ll go back on probation.

“Failure to meet these conditions could result in another probationary year for Computer Science, or integration with Arts and Science depending on the severity of the matter.”