Bold vision, positive change

Queen’s can be a leader in the fight to reduce carbon emissions, Principal Woolf says

When I signed the University and College Presidents’ Climate Change Statement of Action for Canada earlier this week, it signaled both a commitment and a call to action for Queen’s.

This “made-in-Canada” sustainability pledge was drafted by six British Columbia universities and has been endorsed by the heads of 23 Canadian institutions.

In signing it, we’re committing to set reduction targets, conduct a greenhouse gas inventory, develop an institutional climate action plan and work co-operatively with governments, the business community and other institutions to help reduce global climate change.

That’s a tall order, but I believe with our creative resources and collective resolve to effect change we can and will meet this important challenge.

Moreover, I’m convinced Queen’s can be a leader in the fight to reduce carbon emissions.

Among the efforts already under way is the creation last fall of Queen’s Sustainability Advisory Committee (QSAC), which brings together the University’s leading researchers in the areas of environment and sustainability, from across a wide range of disciplines and personal interests.

Members of our stellar faculty—such as biology professor and Canada Research Chair in Environmental Change John Smol and chemistry professor and Canada Research Chair in Green Chemistry Philip Jessop—are world-renowned for their expertise and groundbreaking studies that have helped shape policy and decision-making around sustainability issues.

Along with student representatives and members of our Sustainability Office and Physical Plant team, they are providing candid advice about how Queen’s could develop an aggressive yet achievable position to advance sustainability measures through programs and policies.

QSAC is co-chaired by Vice-President (Academic) Patrick Deane and Vice-President (Finance and Administration) Caroline Davis.

A draft Sustainability Strategic Framework for the University, to be released shortly, will establish our core values in this area and outline how the entire Queen’s community can participate in reducing our environmental impact.

The framework will use results from a commissioned report on our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to establish our own GHG targets and measures for the coming years.

Student input and active participation are vital to the success of this initiative. Already, a number of innovative projects in our residences and across campus are helping to reduce the University’s carbon footprint.

I challenge each of you to be among the drivers of change on this crucial issue that will have a widespread impact on all aspects of our operation here.

Queen’s students are also having a global impact on this issue.

Urban and Regional Planning masters’ student Ana Stuermer recently represented the University at an international sustainability workshop in Germany.

Stuermer, who received funding support from the Principal’s Office Student Initiative Fund and the Office of the Vice-Principal (Academic), reported she was “majorly engaged in dialogue regarding sustainability, leadership and student influence on the sustainability debate” and is now plugged in to an excellent mentorship support network.

Last fall, one of the most innovative and effective advocacy campaigns I have seen in my decades of university life asked a simple, but very direct, question: “What Will Woolf Do?”

Signing the University and College Presidents’ Climate Change Statement of Action for Canada—and the Ontario University Sustainability Pledge last November—have been the first steps toward answering that question.

But it’s just the beginning.

The larger question now for all of us is: “What will Queen’s do?”

I urge you to submit your ideas for enhancing sustainability by filling out a Project exploration form at queensu.ca/sustainability and e-mailing it to sustainability@queensu.ca. Be bold in your vision for effecting positive change.

As you know, our fate—and that of future generations—hinges on the responsible, far-seeing actions we all take today.

Daniel Woolf is the principal of Queen’s University.