Globetrotting and people watching

Postscript contributor Sara Melvin chronicles the many interesting and amusing characters one may encounter while backpacking around the world

Travelling around the world is an amazing opportunity to meet all sorts of people
Image supplied by: Supplied Photo By Emily Rosen

Backpacking is most certainly a popular way to explore our world. Whether you’ve done the oh-so-popular East Asian circuit, the classic Euro-trip, an exotic adventure through the South American Amazon or trekked through the Himalayas in Nepal, it is inevitable that you will establish an international network of friends. Hostels are social spaces that catalyze quick friendships. In the early weeks of your travels when your backpack doesn’t seem so heavy and there is an uncanny spring in your step, meeting new people is FUN and EXCITING. In and around week three, the novelty of meeting so many unique and interesting people may wear off a little. In fact, you probably find yourself meeting the same types of people over and over again and having the exact same conversations multiple times. Levi Urman, avid traveler and owner of Charlottetown Backpacker’s Hostel in P.E.I., said, “Ten years ago while I was traveling Australia, I had this idea to make a T-shirt that said ‘Levi. From Toronto. I rented a car and have been to Sydney and down the East Coast. Stopping in Fiji on the way home,’ so we could get past all the obligatory small talk and get to real conversation.” I’ve travelled to China, Central America, Greece and Israel and have met countless backpackers in hostels across the globe. Some fit perfectly into amusing stereotypical categories, from the Australian surfer to the Canadian imposter. All have a unique place in my heart (and will always have a place for me to stay when I visit their country). Don’t forget to write their names down in your travel journal for future Facebook friend requests.

The “let’s get shwasted” Australian surfer

“G-day mate. Let’s have heaps of fun today.” Australians are very prevalent in the hostel scene and mesh well with many nationalities. Friendly, loud, blonde and attractive, they love to get their drink on with anyone who will join them. Their leadership skills are not to be discredited; Aussies have the uncanny ability to lead a 25-person game of Kings and provide a ton of positive reinforcement. The goal of the night: passing out on the beach so that they can wake up and immediately start ripping some gnarly waves. “Australians are born and bred travelers. They seek to explore other cultures possibly because they are on an island quite far away from everywhere else,” said Zoe Cameron, an exchange student from Canberra and The Australian National University. “For one thing, they infiltrate every system. You cannot get away from them. You try to go somewhere unique and different, but they are everywhere. Many younger travelers flock to really publicized areas, like Whistler.” Cameron said even she agrees that most Aussies measure up to the stereotype. “Wherever [Aussies] go, the idea is about traveling and getting wasted,” she said. “Any male Aussie has beach, babes, and beers mentality. I call it the triple B!”

The Euro-bohemian artisan

Placid face, dreadlocks twice the size of their head, Jasmine balloon pants, tattoos written in Asian script, tambourine in hand and digging through the free food bin in the hostel kitchen— the traveling artisan community is an unknown population in this world. The Hippies of our modern age, they weave bracelets of thread and rare stones and sell them to other travelers in order to keep on traveling. Don’t be fooled, though, they still line up at hostel computers to Skype their hippie friends on other continents. River, a self-named Swedish 20-something traveler, spoke in a wispy, quiet voice as she tried to sell me a crocheted anklet. “If I sell more jewellery, I will make enough money to take a boat to Columbia. If not, I will reside in this hostel in Honduras until more people buy my things. My handicrafts support my livelihood on the road. I have never saved money for a trip before,” she said, as she took a toke from the questionably pungent hand-rolled ‘cigarette’ being passed around.

The Canadian impostor

They look Canadian, their accent is passable and they have a Canadian flag stitched on their backpack. But any mention of poutine, Nunavut, Wilfred Laurier or the Toonie and you’re met with blank stares and empty words. Try asking them to spell the word ‘colour’ or say the last letter of the alphabet, and you’ll know—THEY’RE FAKING IT! THEY’RE ACTUALLY AMERICAN! For decades, residents from the US have held a not-so-ideal global reputation. Europeans sometimes bash their mass consumer culture, many third-world countries often blame their poverty on American foreign policy and the southern drawl is hated on universally. However, the individual American traveler is frequently underrated. I have had many good times with Julien from California who taught me how to surf or with Gabe from Chicago who shared my love of Tsing-Tao beer in China.

The band of patriotic Israelis

Mirit Rafael, an Israeli friend I met in Guatemala, said, “There are three places in the world where every Israeli is after their compulsory years the army—South East Asia, Australia and Central America.” Traveling post-army, pre-university is as ritualistic to an Israeli as St. Patty’s Day is to a Queen’s student. The patriotic Israelis band together in clumps and tend to stick to themselves, holding a certain level of elitist exclusivity. Hebrew is the new English, and although Thailand might be beautiful, there is nowhere in the world that compares to Israel. It’s actually very endearing how much they love their country. Naturally aesthetically pleasing and tanned, the Israeli always has a Marlboro cigarette in hand and will talk your ear off about pretty much anything. From my own experience, as soon as I dropped the “at my Bat Mitzvah …” line, I was instantly part of the crew and became the perfect candidate to be convinced to ‘Make Aliah’ (move to Israel).

The tired traveller (AKA the old guy)

“So, how long have you been travelling for?” you ask the prematurely graying man in the corner. “16 years,” he replies with no hesitation. You then realize the old looking guy wasn’t dealt bad genes, but is actually OLD. For some, it becomes a way of life to haul around an oversized MEC backpack, endure 24-hour rickety bus rides and sleep in grimy hostel beds for years on end. Only pausing their lifelong world-wide trip to work in a fast-cash type job, the Tired Traveler has no interest in companionship, having a family or being tied down to any real responsibilities. I met a 46-year-old man in San Jose, Costa Rica who fit into this profile perfectly. “So many people judge me for not having a family or a wife, but that is their idea of what life should be like. Why can’t my life be a solo expedition across the world? The meaning of life can be construed in so many different ways, so what if I don’t have loved ones? Am I being defensive?” he said, refusing to give his name (not that you could track him down if you tried).

The cute Japanese girl

Highly fashionable, clean, polite, often smaller than her backpack and displays emotions audibly, this traveler is the ideal guest for a hostel owner. Although they tend to stick to themselves, if another traveler draws them out, they will devote their full attention to their new friend. And yes, peace signs do end up in every single picture.

The German hiker biker

Short hair, muscular and fit, often vegetarian and usually riding solo is the German Hiker Biker. “I have been riding on my bicycle for 7,000 kilometres through 23 countries for three years,” they say. “I have replaced my tires eight times and lost 17 pounds along the way.” Pushing their physical activity and mental strength to the limits, I often think their strong willed travel plan borders insanity. Another defining characteristic of this strand of backpacker/cycler is their rigidly planned out itinerary. “Ve must be in zis country by zis date, no exceptions!” Free-spirited travel is literally out of the question. So let’s strap on those hiking boots and keep on trekking! According to AFAR, a magazine devoted to alternative travel, Canadian travelers have the best international reputation and the lowest narcissism index, meaning that we are well-liked and aren’t all that full of ourselves. Whether you like it or not, as a traveler you must choose how to represent the Canadian image and will probably come back appreciating your country a whole lot more. Oh, and please do yourself a favour at the end of your trip and get a long, sensual massage—you deserve it.