Homecoming cancelled until 2014

Despite a decrease in participation and an increasing police effort to stop it, the annual Aberdeen Street Party has led Principal Daniel Woolf to suspend Homecoming for another three years.

In a statement posted to the Queen’s website this morning, Woolf said the security risk posed by the continuing street party is too high to warrant the re-instatement of Homecoming.

“The numbers have gone down but they’re not, in my judgement, where they need to be in order to restore Homecoming,” he said.

The party on Sept. 25 drew smaller crowds than in previous years. An estimated 1,500 to 2,000 people gathered on the street and by 1 a.m. the crowd had almost completely dispersed.

“Were we to put Homecoming back now, I think the inevitable consequence would be the numbers would spike up again,” Woolf said.

AMS President Safiah Chowdhury said she understands the decision to suspend Homecoming for another three years.

“We communicated widely to students but the significant turnout of Queen’s students did not meet the requirements set by the Principal before the weekend,” she told the Queen’s News Centre.

“We believe it is the Principal’s job to make decisions in the best interest of the University and community and he has made his decision in accordance with that. He has committed to work with the AMS to ensure a safe and sustainable Homecoming for 2014 onwards. As students who love the opportunity to engage with alumni and as future alumni of Queen’s, we are committed to ensuring that Fall Homecoming returns.”