Coffee in a Star-bucket

Image supplied by: By Adam Zunder

Regular visitors to their neighbourhood Starbucks will be pleased to hear about the addition of a new beverage size. The Seattle-based coffee company has announced plans to introduce a 31 oz. serving size in its chain locations across the US no later than May 3. 

The new “Trenta” size will be available in more than eleven states by the beginning of February, and costs only 50 cents more than the “Venti” size—which ranges from 20 to 24 oz. The 917 ml Trenta container is intended for iced beverages, like flavoured coffees, iced tea and lemonade. These beverages typically come loaded with space-consuming ice, so a larger size provides greater relief from hot weather.  

At first, this move seems like a simple publicity ploy. Where an 

“extra-large” beverage option is the standard at traditional chain retailers, Starbucks isn’t the first company one might picture adopting a fast-food model. The chain’s emphasis on trendy decor and upscale coffee beverages has previously leaned towards a certain degree of restraint and understatement. 

Starbucks has stated that the new beverage size is a response to customer demand, which reflects the company’s gradual expansion into less urban areas. In an urban environment, Starbucks is a daily norm, but in areas where the concentration of the chain is less dense, it becomes a rare treat—and an indulgence.

At the same time, Starbucks is facing great competition to retain its loyal customers. Many of the previously-esoteric beverage options it has brought into the mainstream have been adopted by other chain coffee shops and retailers, including McDonalds. Offering larger serving sizes across the board ensures that people get even more of their familiar favourites straight from the source.   

It’s a sound business move, but the new size seems a little overboard. Where the Trenta is intended for specific beverages, especially thirsty customers will surely load one up with their favourite cream- and sugar-laden drinks.

While no Canadian release is yet on the horizon, if the idea takes hold below the border, it can only be a matter of time.