Ravens edge Gaels

Back-to-back losses for Queen’s

Post Jordan Tomas tries to defend against the Ottawa Gee Gees during a loss at home.
Image by: Justin Tang

The first home games of the year ended with defeat for the women’s basketball team. The Gaels played the Carleton Ravens on Friday and the Ottawa Gee Gees on Saturday. The Gaels fought a hard battle with the Ravens but were ultimately edged out, 64-62.

Thanks to the efforts of second-year guard Paige

Robinson—who contributed 15 points and five rebounds—and fourth-year guard Brittany Moore—who added 17 points—the Gaels were able to stay competitive with the top-ranked OUA East Ravens.

The lead changed hands a total of 21 times during the game.

“Overall, there were no huge runs in the game … and I thought we were sort of able to even out our performance a little more than we have in the past,” head coach Dave Wilson said, adding that the Ravens physicality and defensive abilities helped them secure the win.

“It [was] a very physical game,” he said. “Carleton is ranked sixth in the country primarily because of their defence. In fact, us putting up 62 points is very unusual for them.” He said he was satisfied with the way his team mitigated the Ravens’ strengths.

“Generally speaking, I think we managed to execute against their defence reasonably well.”

Wilson said he’s happy with the improvements the team has made but they’ll need to start winning games to make it into the playoffs.

“I’m pleased with how our team is progressing overall,” Wilson said. “It’s getting to a point where we need the wins … but [our progress] is going to pay dividends [eventually].”

It seemed much more difficult to put a positive spin on Saturday’s game against the second-ranked OUA East Gee Gees, where the Gaels were blown out 71-57.

They struggled right out of the gate, falling 21-10 in the first quarter. The Gaels were able to stop their progress only slightly, and the Gee Gees built on their lead in the second quarter to finish the half up 39-23.

“We were not mentally prepared to play,” Wilson said. “If you don’t have your brain working, you’re going to look horrible.” The Gaels outscored the Gees Gees in the second half but were ultimately unable to dig themselves out of the hole they were in from the first half.

“We outscored them in the third quarter, we outscored them in the fourth quarter. Still, we were not at all sharp,” he said. “Every part of the game we were doing incorrectly, that’s how mentally out of the game we were. It’s frustrating, very frustrating for the players.”

Moore led scoring for the Gaels with 20 points, while Robinson added 14 and second-year post Hanna Koposhynska contributed 12.

“Obviously it was a disappointing loss,” Moore said. “Each person on the team needs to take responsibility to prepare for next Saturday’s game.”

She said the team’s expectations may have sunk their chances.

“We were very excited to play Carleton, and I don’t think we were as excited to play [Saturday’s]game, and that’s what killed us,” she said.”We need to come together as a team and [prepare], because each game is very important, and whoever comes out to play will win.”