The best of Kingston

After another year has gone by, Postscript polled our readers to find our favourite spots to study, party, shop and more in the city

Harper’s Burger Bar
Image by: Corey Lablans
Harper’s Burger Bar

BEST PLACE TO TAKE YOUR PARENTS TO DINNER

1) Woodenheads 2) Copper penny 3) Olivea/Chez Piggy/Harper’s Burger Bar

People’s parents seem to have a wide variety of tastes, from Woodenheads’ famous pizza to other well-known classier places like Chez Piggy.

BEST PLACE TO GO FOR AN ORIGINAl/INEXPENSIVE DATE

1) Harper’s Burger Bar/The Sleepless Goat 2) Phnom Penh/Kingston Waterfront 3) Wolfe Island

Harper’s and The Sleepless Goat were a favourite by far. Their cheap menus and relaxed atmosphere make them the perfect place for students on a budget.

BEST PIZZA

1) Woodenheads 2) Atomica 3) Pizza Pizza

No surprises here—Woodenheads and Atomica have been long-standing favourites. Pizza Pizza’s proximity to the Student Ghetto also makes it an obvious contender.

BEST LATE-NIGHT FOOD

1) Bubba’s 2) Smoke’s/Pita Grill 3) Pizza Pizza

Bubba’s and Smoke’s poutine are two of the most popular ways to fill up on the way home from the bar.

BEST PLACE TO DRINK

1) Queen’s Pub 2) Kingston Brewing Company 3) Toucan/Canteen/The Brass

QP won by a landslide: it’s right on campus and you’re bound to run into almost everyone you know. Sangria, anyone?

BEST PLACE FOR COFFEE/TEA

1) Starbucks 2) Common Ground 3) Sleepless Goat

With four locations within walking distance from each other, Starbucks has definitely saturated the market.

BEST PLACE FOR BRUNCH

1) Windmills/The Brass 2) Morrison’s 3) Wolfe Island Bakery

Votes in this category were pretty evenly spread out—clearly Kingston is not short on quality brunch cuisine.

BEST ASIAN CUISINE

1) Mango 2) Phnom Penh/Royal Ankor 3) Wok in/Mekong

Although Mango got the most votes, Asian restaurants in Kingston seem to be an all-around favourite for students, from Thai to Chinese to Vietnamese.

BEST GREASY SPOON

1) Morrison’s 2) Stooley’s 3) Limestone Bar and Grill/The Brass

With all-day breakfast for as low as six or seven dollars, it’s obvious why Morrison’s continues to lead the pack.

BEST GROCERY STORE

1) Loblaws 2) John’s Deli 3) Metro

Students clearly aren’t afraid to venture outside the ghetto for Loblaws’ cheaper prices. There’s also a surprising cult following for John’s Deli on Princess St.

BEST STEAK

1) The Keg 2) Chien Noir 3) Grizzly Grill

The Keg was the obvious favourite here. From ribs to New York style to surf and turf, this place is a steak-lover’s dream.

BEST SUSHI

1) Sima 2) Sakura 3) Asha

Of all the sushi joints situated along Princess St., students prefer Sima as the best place to spend their money. Sushi can get expensive, but it’s easy to forget about price when quality is superior.

BEST BOOKSTORE

1) Indigo 2) Novel Idea 3) Campus Bookstore

Although the main chain is popular due to its large variety, Novel Idea is also still established as Kingston’s key independent bookstore.

BEST PLACE TO EXERCISE

1) ARC 2) Kingston waterfront/outside

Students still seem keen on taking advantage of the ARC’s spanking new facilities, as well as incorporating Kingston’s scenery into their workout.

BEST CHARITY

1) Charity Ball 2) Journal Benefit Concert 3) Goatface

Charity Ball was the clear winner; who doesn’t love to get dressed up? But, the Journal Benefit Concert followed closely behind (no doubt due to the abundance of Journal staff voters).

BEST VIEW

1) Kingston waterfront 2) Wolfe Island ferry 3) Fort Henry

Kingston’s proximity to water allows for a plethora of choices for favourite scenic views.

SOMETHING YOU WANT TO TRY BUT HAVEN’T

1) Wolfe Island 2) Queen’s Players 3) Karaoke at Tir Nan Og

Other notable mentions include Jazz Night at Alfie’s, all you can eat sushi and hot yoga.

BEST ART GALLERY

1) Agnes Etherington 2) Modern Fuel 3) The Artel

There’s definitely no shortage of ways to explore your artistic side in Kingston.

BEST AMS SERVICE

1) Walkhome 2) TAPS 3) Common Ground

All three winners were very close. Queen’s students really know how to take pride in their services.

BEST LIVE MUSIC VENUE

1) Grad Club/Clark Hall Pub 2) The Mansion 3) Alfie’s

The Grad Club offers a really wide range of music, and they’re also known for having an “ear to the ground” approach to bringing in bands. Clark also tied for its similar appeal to students (Fun fact: Arcade Fire even played there a long time ago).

BEST PLACE TO DANCE

1) Alfie’s 2) Ale House 3) The Spot

Alfie’s won an overwhelming amount of votes. Who can resist partying on a Wednesday or Classic Rock Saturdays?

BEST PLACE TO BUY MEN’S CLOTHING

1) Urban Outfitters 2) Gap 3) Value Village

As one of the biggest clothing stores closest to campus, it’s no surprise Urban Outfitters ended up as the go-to choice.

BEST PLACE TO BUY WOMEN’S CLOTHING

1) Urban Outfitters 2) Gap 3) Lululemon/Urban Trade

Whether you’re browsing the sale racks or the accessories, it’s close to impossible to walk out of Urban Outfitters without buying at least one thing.

BEST PLACE TO BUY A GIFT FOR UNDER $30

1) Urban Outfitters 2) Indigo/Minotaur 3) Modern Primitive

Once again, Urban Outfitters takes the cake, with Indigo and Minotaur following closely behind. It’s easy to find something for everyone with the variety of accessories, games and books these places offer; plus, they’re right on Princess St.

BEST PLACE TO TREAT A HANGOVER

1) Bed 2) Morrison’s 3) Stooley’s

Although Morrison’s and Stooley’s are long-time favourites to replenish after a night out, most of you would still rather not venture out of bed.

BEST PLACE TO STUDY

1) Stauffer Library 2) Douglas Library 3) Harry Potter Reading Room

The two main libraries on campus took first and second place. But many of you just want to pretend you’re at Hogwarts; nothing wrong with that.

BEST PLACE TO PEOPLE WATCH

1) Stauffer Library 2) Common Ground/ARC 3) Queen’s Centre

As it’s also the number one study spot, it’s ironic that Stauffer is also the favourite people-watching venue. Are we all just trying to figure out who the Dear Stauffer Friends girls are, or what?

BEST POST-EXAM ACTIVITY

1) Drinking 2) Sleep 3) Going to the lake

Whether it’s to drown your sorrows or celebrate, nothing beats grabbing a shot or beer to signify the end of the year.

BEST PLACE FOR CLASS

1) Goodes Hall 2) Stirling Hall/Biosciences Complex 3) KHS building

One slacker submitted “my bed.” However, this is a valid choice for those Friday classes at 8:30 a.m.

BEST PLACE TO ESCAPE

1) Kingston Waterfront 2) Wolfe Island 3) ARC

Once again, Kingston’s beautiful waterfront is another favourite student destination. Relaxing by the lake is the perfect way to clear your head, after all.

BEST WORD TO DESCRIBE THIS YEAR

“Shitstorm” “Eventful” “Chaotic” “Clusterfuck” “Fun fun fun fun”

There was no clear consensus; however certain words did stand out. There’s no denying it was an interesting year.

BEST WORD TO DESCRIBE KINGSTON

“Rainy” “Home” “Cozy” “Vibrant” “Community”

One creative soul also submitted the word “Kingston” to describe Kingston—clever.

Compiled by Kelly Loeper

Postscript