Summer league looks to expand

Off-season intramurals program aims to grow, but is limited by player turnout

A summer intramural player attempts a bicycle kick during a game at Tindall field last week.

Queen’s intramurals is making some changes in order to attract more players over the summer.

Unlike the fall and winter term, the summer intramurals program invites Queen’s staff and faculty members, as well as Kingston locals. Duane Parliament, Coordinator of Intramurals and Summer Leagues said he wants to break the perception that Queen’s facilities are only there for Queen’s students.

“I think getting the word out that Queen’s summer leagues are open to everybody [is important],” he said, adding that Queen’s Athletics is hoping to attract members of the Kingston community through advertising and word of mouth. But so far, there hasn’t been a steady increase in participation year to year.

The intramural program is hoping to capitalize on its low entry fees. Unlike other local summer leagues which cost up to a $1,000 per team, Parliament said players pay a $40 flat fee. After paying, players are eligible to compete in all three sports. Members of the Society of Graduate and Professional Students don’t have to pay because it’s included in the society’s fees.

The program offers co-ed softball, co-ed frisbee and men’s and women’s soccer. Parliament said the program needs to attract more players.

“We have tried to get indoor leagues set up,” he said. “Due to lack of demand we haven’t really been successful.”

Although summer intramural programs are outdoors, expanding indoors would allow the program to offer inner tube water polo, basketball, and volleyball.

There are 565 people registered for summer intramurals. That’s around 10 times fewer participants than the 5,901 participations across 15 leagues in the fall and winter terms.

The summer program doesn’t have enough players to create different divisions based on skill level.

“I wouldn’t say that the fall and winter leagues are more competitive, but there’s more variety in the levels available in the fall and winter terms,” Parliament said.

Matt Sedore, Sci ‘13, has refereed soccer games in the fall, winter and summer terms. He said intramural soccer during the school year is indeed more competitive because skill-based levels separate players looking for leisure and players looking for stiff competition.

“The fall is a little more intense with the tier one level,” he said, adding that there are more lopsided games in summer intramurals. “Summer is more laid back as most people work the next day.” “A few teams are competitive but the majority are just looking for an opportunity to play for fun,” he said.