Conventions and customs of Queen’s

An inside look at each faculty’s Frosh Week traditions

Applied Science

The Grease Pole: Frosh must work together to scale a greased pole to reach the tam on top.

Sizzle like bacon: Frosh are instructed by their frosh leaders to lie on the ground and shake their bodies.

Arts and Science

Traditional cheer: “Frosh! How do you feel?” Frosh olympics: Students are covered in dirt, peat moss and shaving cream before participating in a day-long series of outdoor tournaments.

Commerce

Syndicates: First-years are separated into these teams and work together to impress the head Commerce frosh leader, the Chief Boss.

Attire: Frosh wear ‘I like commerce’ t-shirts and knee-high socks.

Computer Science

CompSci Olympics: Frosh are tested with technology trivia.

LAN Party: Computer labs are opened with unlimited online game play for first-years.

Concurrent Education

Mystery Retro Road Trip: Frosh, dressed in eighties attire, take off to an undisclosed location for the day.

Sock Wrestling: Con-eddies pair up and race to pull off each other’s socks.

First Year Not in Residence

Boat cruise: Frosh Week begins with a three-hour night-time cruise around the Thousand Islands, which includes a dance and live auction.

Bigger and better: Starting with an issue of the Journal, first-years must trade it for bigger and better items downtown Kingston.

Physical Education and Kinesiology

Camp Oconto: Frosh head an hour north of Kingston to decorate their coveralls and compete in tournaments.

At the end of the week, frosh are given a whistle to signify their official welcome into the faculty.

New, Exchange, (woohoo) and Transfer Students

Roadtrip: NEWTS are taken to a nearby city that changes year-to-year; Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto have been favourites in the past.

Afterward, students decorate their neon orange coveralls and finish Frosh Week with a semi-formal dinner.

Nursing

Nursing frosh week begins with students parading around campus holding hands clad in latex gloves.

Thundermugz: Nursing students are propped up on home-made chariots crafted by first-year engineering students before being pelted with a mixture of glue and oatmeal dubbed thundersludge.

Frosh Week, Special Project, Tradition