Cyclist raises thousands for cancer research

First year Kinesiology student Adam Beaudoin was inspired by friends diagnosed with cancer

Supporters welcome Adam Beaudoin
Image by: Justin Chin
Supporters welcome Adam Beaudoin

Incoming first-year student Adam Beaudoin decided to take the long route to Kingston from his home town of Victoria, B.C.

On Aug. 6, Beaudoin began a cross-country biking trip that ended in Kingston on Sept. 4.

Beaudoin, PheKin ’15, said he was inspired to raise money for the B.C. Cancer Foundation after two of his friends were diagnosed with cancer.

“We all have a story involving cancer and I thought it was time I did something about it,” he said.

Beaudoin said he didn’t train specifically for the ride. He also had to recover from a soccer injury he suffered in November of last year.

“I had only biked eight times between June and July before starting the ride to Kingston.”

Beaudoin raised more than $42,000 by the end of his journey.

“In the next five years, thousands of people will be diagnosed with cancer and I want to give the gift of life to them,” he said, adding that he chose to raise money for the B.C. Cancer Foundation because of its focus on research.

In order to complete the 4,700 kilometre ride from Victoria to Kingston, Beaudoin biked for an average of 150 kilometres per day.

“That’s more than seven hours on a bike [per day]. I’ve only had two rest days,” he told the Journal on Aug. 30 from Blind River, Ontario.

Though Beaudoin said he’s never done anything like this before, he’s been active all his life.

Along with biking daily this year, Beaudoin ran up and down Arizona’s Grand Canyon in March—a run of more than 27 kilometres.

“I always exercise. This year I got into triathlons and cycling,” he said. “This is a whole different ballgame though.” The weather was on his side for the most part, Beaudoin said.

“It’s been unreal,” he said. “I had to ride through a thunderstorm … in Thunder Bay, so I’ve only been rained on twice, which is pretty amazing.”

Beaudoin said the ride took a physical toll on his body, but that wasn’t his biggest challenge.

“I’m always by myself. My mom was in the car, but I was the only one riding all day. It was totally different from what I was expecting,” he said.

While on the road, Beaudoin said he nearly got hit by cars numerous times.

After such a gruelling tour, Beaudoin said he’s looking forward to coming to Queen’s to study.

“I’m really passionate about kinesiology and I’m looking forward to being in an environment where I can experience new things and meet new people,” he said.

While he’s unsure if he’ll do something like this again in the future, Beaudoin said he’ll keep challenging himself athletically.

“I’m kind of sick of it to be honest but I’m sure, knowing my personality, I’ll forget about that,” he said. “I might do an Ironman same time next year.”

cancer, cycling, fundraising, Student experience