Gaels score seven touchdowns in first win

Gaels running back Ryan Granberg advances with the ball
Image by: Corey Lablans

The Gaels tallied their first win and first touchdown Saturday, beating the Laurier Golden Hawks 58-35 in front of a raucous crowd at Richardson Stadium.

The Queen’s offence registered only eight points in their first two games, but exploded for seven touchdowns against the Golden Hawks.

Receiver Giovanni Aprile scored four touchdowns and recorded 368 all-purpose yards. Aprile’s two biggest plays were an 85-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter and a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the third.

Quarterback Billy McPhee had his best performance of the season. He connected on 16 of 32 passes for 362 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions.

Running back Ryan Granberg ran for 153 yards with 30 attempts, picking up eight of the Gaels’ 26 first downs.

Golden Hawks quarterback Shane Kelly struggled without leading receiver Shamawd Chambers, throwing 30-55 for 345 yards, four touchdowns and four interceptions.

The Gaels start a three-game road trip against the York Lions next Saturday.

Billy McPhee, Football, Giovanni Aprile, Homecoming, Laurier Golden Hawks, Ryan Granberg