Winning streak ends at six

Women’s soccer beats Ryerson Rams 2-0, but tie with Toronto Varsity Blues ruins perfect record

Midfielder Alexis McKinty closes down a University of Toronto player on Sunday at Richardson Stadium.
Image by: Corey Lablans

It took 15 minutes to end the women’s soccer team’s six-game winning streak.

The Gaels beat the Ryerson Rams 2-0 at Richardson Stadium on Saturday, before giving up a 2-0 halftime lead on Sunday to tie the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 3-3.

“It’s frustrating,” head coach Dave McDowell said. “I hope the team learns that you have to play focused for 90 minutes, not just 75.”

The Gaels outshot the Rams 15-5, with goals from midfielder Riley Filion and captain Kelli Chamberlain.

On Sunday, the Gaels were off to a similar start with a comfortable lead. But, the Varsity Blues scored two goals in three minutes to start the second half. The Gaels led minutes later, but it wasn’t enough as their momentum slowed in the final 15 minutes and the Varsity Blues scored on a penalty shot to tie the game.

McDowell said his team was complacent and should have taken advantage of its chances in the first half.

“We could have been up by five or six goals, but instead we let them sniff around,” McDowell said. “They came out really hard in the second half and we didn’t deal with it well.”

The team’s weekend wasn’t completely disappointing — defender Brienna Shaw has recovered from a summer injury and is expected to play Thursday at Richardson Stadium against the Royal Military College Paladins.

soccer, Women's