LeBoeuf leads team in debut

Transfer student posts fastest time for men’s team in the Western Invitational in London

The women's cross country team finished sixth at the Western Invitational in London on Saturday.
Image by: Corey Lablans

The cross country team’s top recruit was the Gaels’ best runner at the Western Invitational in London on Saturday. Transfer student Maxime LeBoeuf led the men’s cross country team to a fourth-place finish in the 10-kilometre race with a time of 33 minutes and 10 seconds. The women’s team came in sixth in their five-kilometre run.

LeBoeuf, MA‘13, was absent for the Sept. 24 Queen’s Invitational. The Western event was his debut with the Gaels. Every Gael crossed the finish line within a minute of LeBoeuf in London.

“For the part of the season we’re at right now, we’re setting ourselves up nicely for the more important races down the road,” men’s team captain Oliver Hatheway said.

The Gaels finished behind the first-place Windsor Lancers, the Guelph Gryphons and the Western Mustangs. Hatheway said his team was satisfied with the fourth-place finish. “This time of year, we’re not really concerned with results,” he said. “We’re of the mentality that it’s all for the one race in November, so we’re quietly confident. “

But Hatheway said the team could have done better if they had stuck to the initial race plan.

“We were actually hoping to run the race a little bit more together,” he said. “We kind of got separated with the early pacing.”

Jeff Costen and Jeff Archer were sidelined with injuries for the second straight event. Last week, head coach Steve Boyd said they might be the fittest runners on the team. He said both runners will compete in Bethlehem, Pa. today for Lehigh University’s Paul Short Run.

LeBoeuf, Hatheway, Nick McGraw, Dave Cashin and Cody Beals ran for the men. The women’s team went with Alex Gatza, Monica Bolejszo, Lauren Prufer, Meghan Tait and Steph Hulse. Hulse led the team with a time of 18 minutes and 38 seconds.

The Gryphons won the women’s race.

Boyd said he was impressed by the way the women’s team ran.

“We’re rebuilding this year on the women’s side, [but] our average runner was faster than [at] this time last year,” he said.

The team travels to Bethlehem, Pa. to compete in Lehigh University’s Paul Short Run today.

cross country, Maxime LeBoeuf, Oliver Hatheway, Steve Boyd, Western