Straight set win

Men’s volleyball rookies beat RMC

An inexperienced men’s volleyball lineup won its first regular season game in straight sets over the Royal Military College Paladins at the ARC on Friday night. Middle hitter Philippe Goyer recorded nine kills in the 25-12, 25-18, 25-18 victory.

Four of the team’s regular starters are injured and six rookies played in their place.

Head coach Brenda Willis said she will rest injured players for important games later in the season.

“There weren’t too many guys on the floor who will be there when push comes to shove,” Willis said.

The Paladins haven’t won an OUA regular season game since 2007. Fourth-year libero Alex Oneid said it was difficult to get motivated against the Paladins after playing better competition in pre-season tournaments.

“It should be easy, but it isn’t,” Oneid said. “It’s hard to battle teams like that because you need to create your own intensity.”

The Gaels hosted Canada’s top teams at the Coast-to-Coast Classic from Oct. 14 to 16 and travelled to Calgary to play the Alberta Golden Bears, the Calgary Dinos and the Regina Cougars at the Dino Cup on Oct. 21 to 22.

Oneid said games against lower-calibre teams like the Paladins allows younger players to see game time.

“It was a good game for the rookies to get the jitters out,” he said.

The Gaels will play the 1-1 Windsor Lancers and the 2-0 Western Mustangs next weekend. Outside Joren Zeeman will return to the lineup after sitting out with a sprained ankle.

Brenda Willis, Men's Volleyball