Hot streak continues

Women’s volleyball wins twice at home to improve to 6-2 and move to second place in the OUA

Women's volleyball players go up for a block during their straight-set win over the McMaster Marauders on Saturday night.
Image by: Sierra Yanush

The women’s volleyball team continued their scorching start to the season, sweeping both the Toronto Varsity Blues and the McMaster Marauders at home last weekend to improve to a 6-2 record. The team now sits at second in the OUA.

On Friday, the Gaels beat the Varsity Blues 25-18, 25-11, 25-17 before earning another straight-set win — 25-21, 25-13, 25-11 — over the Marauders on Saturday.

In keeping with a trend this season, outside hitters led the Gaels. Natalie Gray totaled 21 kills over the weekend and Becky Billings led the team with 25 digs and 13 kills.

Billings said said she was pleased with the straight-set wins after blowing a lead and losing to the Guelph Gryphons on Nov. 11.

“We didn’t let [McMaster or Toronto] in when we were up two [sets],” she said, “We came off last weekend disappointed in our loss … and I think it showed in [this week].”

Head coach Joely Christian-Macfarlane said the team has consistently improved their play on the court every week.

“It’s actually the consistency of performance, the tough serving, the strong defence that we have been training for,” she said. “[It’s] what came out in the matches.”

In previous years, Queen’s has run its offence primarily through the middle. But with the emergence of Gray and Billings, the current team relies more on its outside hitters.

“Our outside hitters were phenomenal this weekend,” Christian-Macfarlane said. “Our middle really has to be a part of the offence so that we improve and get them to be a bigger threat down the road.”

The wins mark the beginning of a five-game home stand for the team. The Gaels now have a week off before finishing the first half of their season against the Ryerson Rams at home on Dec. 2.

Becky Billings, natalie gray, Women's Volleyball