Last-second loss to Badgers

Women’s basketball beats McMaster, falls to Brock in overtime

Guard Brittany Moore scored 21 points in Saturday’s loss to the Brock Badgers.
Image by: Jeff Peters

The women’s basketball team was one shot away from a perfect weekend.

With the Gaels trailing 71-69 to the Brock Badgers in overtime last Saturday, leading scorer Brittany Moore needed to sink a three-pointer with 2.8 seconds left on the clock — but she missed.

Both the Gaels and the Badgers traded leads throughout Saturday’s game. Wing Jenny Wright missed a game-winning half-court shot in the last seconds of regulation. In overtime, Brock forward Nicole Rosenkranz sealed the win, scoring her team’s final three points.

Gaels post Sydney Kernahan recorded her first double-double of the season with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Moore led the Gaels with 21 points, making three of six shots from three-point range.

“[Kernahan’s] really stepping up her game for us,” Moore said “There’s no way we would’ve been in the game if it wasn’t for her rebounding and put-backs.”

The Gaels gave up 34 turnovers, while the Badgers gave up 23.

“Turn the ball over 34 times in a game [and it’s] very difficult to win,” head coach Dave Wilson said. “[But] if you look at the statistical categories, we were better or equal in all categories with the exception that they took more shots.”

The loss to the Badgers came a day after the Gaels beat the McMaster Marauders 94-65 on Friday.

The Gaels led the Marauders by over 30 points for most of the game. They out-rebounded the Marauders 40 to 25 and kept turnovers below 15.

Taylor Chiarot, the Marauders’ leading scorer and rebounder, posted only two points and zero rebounds in the first half, unable to overcome Gaels centre Hanna Koposhynska’s strong defensive play.

Starting guard Liz Boag sat out both games after sustaining a concussion against the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks on Nov. 18. Wilson said he’s trying to get her ready to play next weekend.

The Gaels will take on the Western Mustangs in London on Friday and the Windsor Lancers in Windsor on Saturday. Both games are at 6 p.m.

Brittany Moore, women's basketball