No wins for women

Gaels lose both games for first time this season

Katie Hagarty and the women’s volleyball team couldn’t beat the McMaster Marauders in Hamilton on Friday night.

The women’s volleyball had its worst weekend of the season, dropping two four-set matches to the McMaster Marauders and the York Lions. The road losses dropped the 8-5 Gaels into a third-place OUA tie.

It was the first time all season they’ve lost twice in one weekend. Friday’s loss in Hamilton came against a Marauders squad that sits in ninth place, outside of a playoff spot.

Outside hitter Natalie Gray — who led the team with a combined 19 kills and 20 digs over the weekend — said the team was disappointed with the results after winning five of their past six matches.

“Now that we’ve tasted back-to-back losses … we know that we never want to be back here again,” Gray said. “That’ll be a good motivating tool for us to keep working hard and pushing harder.”

Gray said it was still important that the team was able to win one set against the York Lions, who place first in the OUA and were ranked 10th in the country before the weekend.

“[The losses] are a little bit frustrating,” she said. “But at the same time it’s kind of encouraging because we know that we can come out with wins in the future.”

The Gaels will spend the week preparing for their most grueling road trip of the season. On Friday, they fly to Thunder Bay for two consecutive matches against the 0-11 Lakehead Thunderwolves.

Gray said she expects her team to win.

“The girls are going to be hungry for a win and wanting to prove that the two losses this weekend aren’t characteristic of our team.”

Becky Billings, natalie gray, Women's Volleyball