Bomb threat disrupts trial

• News

The Shafia trial taking place at the Frontenac County Courthouse was interrupted yesterday due to a reported bomb threat.

The Shafia trial, concerning the alleged honour killings of four women at Kingston Mills in 2009, has been ongoing since October. The jury is set to be sequestered to make their final decision by the end of the week.

Kingston Police received a call from courthouse staff at 9:35 a.m. about a security threat in the building. By 10 a.m., everyone had been evacuated.

National media outlets such as the Globe and Mail and the National Post confirmed the security concern was a bomb threat. Media relations officer for Kingston Police, Constable Steven Koopman didn’t confirm the nature of the security concern.

“We’re not confirming or denying that it was a bomb threat,” he said.

Koopman said heightened security measures were put in place after the threat, including asking for photo ID from anyone entering the courthouse.

“Before, we were being discretionary with our metal detectors and only had them positioned before you entered the courtroom,” he said. “Now metal detectors will be used as soon as you walk into the front door of the building.”

Koopman added that the trial was supposed to resume at 1 p.m. but was delayed until 2:30 p.m.

“It was a slow process getting everyone back into the courtroom,” he said.

The court house is adjacent to the east end of the campus, near the Grad Club.

The security measures will be ongoing.

Koopman said no one was injured during the evacuation and no arrests have been made.

— Savoula Stylianou

court, Shafia trial