Computing Science victory

New president gets 80 per cent of vote

Elizabeth Lappin (centre)
Image by: Justin Chin
Elizabeth Lappin (centre)

Though she was told it was “in the bag” for her, Computing Students’ Association (COMPSA) president-elect Elizabeth Lappin was surprised by her win.

“You never know,” she said. “It is still up to the students.” Lappin, CompSci ’14, was acclaimed with 80 per cent of the popular vote on Wednesday night.

She said campaigning for the COMPSA presidency was made easier by the faculty’s small size.

There are 240 undergraduate students in Computer Science.

“You get the opportunity to talk to individuals, just to talk to the students about your campaign,” Lappin, CompSci ’14, said. “It’s not just they know I am running, but they do know what I am running for, what I plan on doing.”

Lappin was at a Queen’s Pub table with friends when she got a call informing her of the win. Lappin spent the rest of her night there with her friends celebrating.

“I also do have a test coming up, and, you know, academics are always important so I got to make sure I go study and prepare for that,” she said.

Now that she’s elected, Lappin said she wants to move on her first platform point, helping create more visibility for CompSite services, a new website that helps campus groups build websites.

Lappin also wants to see her peers-helping-peers program implemented soon.

“I know a lot of first-year students last semester really wanted peer on peer tutorials,” she said. “There are upper-years whom have shown interest in helping out with this endeavour.”

Lappin said being COMPSA’s vice-president of university affairs this year has exposed her to the tasks she’ll be completing next year.

“It exposes me to things, such as AMS, the atmosphere there, the people, the kind of things that you do deal with,” she said. “Just learning about what other faculties here at Queen’s do and what the AMS does I believe will definitely enable me to bring that back to computing.”

Also elected Wednesday night in the COMPSA elections were Sahib Purba for vice-president of university affairs, Maggie Laidlaw for vice-president of operations and Jennifer Andrea for vice-president of academics.

COMPSA, Faculty elections