ARC thief caught

• News

A curl-up bar and barbell weights stolen from the ARC were recovered Wednesday at 3 p.m. A fourth-year Queen’s student had stolen the items last Friday.

Constable Steven Koopman, media relations officer for Kingston Police, said the student used force to break into the building at 5 a.m. on Feb. 3

“He stole a curl-up bar and what looked like 45 pounds worth of weights on each side,” he said.

Kingston Police released a social media alert on Facebook on Wednesday afternoon with surveillance pictures of the student stealing the curl-up bar. The police asked for tips to help identify the thief.

“Within one to two hours we got verification of the individual’s name and address through an anonymous email,” Koopman said.

The police arrested the student, who was charged with one count of breaking and entering and one count of theft. A curl-up bar retails for about $200.

“He was co-operative with detectives and they decided he didn’t pose a risk to the public,” he said. “He was released on a PTA, which is a promise to appear,” he said.

Koopman added that the student will have his first appearance in court in one or two months.

“It’s a summary offence, meaning a lesser offence,” he said.

If the student pleads not guilty to the charges, the maximum sentence he could receive for breaking and entering into a non-residence under Section 348 of the Criminal Code is two years in prison.

The name of the student isn’t being released because official information hasn’t been sworn to yet, Koopman said.

“Until information has been sworn in front of a justice of the peace or a judge, it cannot be released,” he said.

Koopman said the curl-up bar and weights were recovered by police.

He also said over around six cases have been solved in the last half a year through use of Facebook.

— Savoula Stylianou

ARC, security