Services get an upgrade

Team JDL discusses current and upcoming initiatives

The AMS has undertaken several renovation projects and other initiatives since team JDL took office.
Image by: Terence Wong

The AMS executive’s first four months in office have been marked by major renovations to their services, the team said.

The AMS has spent $29,250 on renovations for the services, with the cost of the renovations being depreciated over a period of three to five years.

“Alfie’s has a really nice, new industrial looknow,” said Tristan Lee, vice president of operations.

The renovations of Alfie’s cost $11,000 with the cost depreciated evenly over five years, while the Tricolour Outlet renovation cost $4,250 and will be depreciated over the same amount of time.

“Previously the door [to Tricolour] was not the most visible and some people couldn’t tell there was a store there before,” Lee said.

Alfie’s makeover included new chandeliers, wall paint and furniture.

The Tricolour Outlet’s main doors were relocated from being adjacent to CoGro Express to a more central location on the second floor hallway of the JDUC.

The cost of Publishing & Copy Centre (P&CC) renovations — $14,000 — will be depreciated over 38 months.

Lee said the recent renovations to P&CC included installing wheelchair accessible doors, a new colour printer, new countertops and wall paint.

He added that spending money responsibly is one of the main things the executive team wants to stress this year.

“We have been very conservative with our budget and ensuring student dollars are going to where they should be,” he said.

The AMS executive were also involved in other initiatives through the summer months.

Mira Dineen, vice-president of university affairs, spear-headed a review of the Peer Support Centre, which resulted in the creation of a partnership between the centre and Frontenac Community Mental Health Services (FCMHS).

The partnership included aligning the centre’s hours with those of FCMHS and having a mobile response team aid volunteers at the Peer Support Centre in the event of emergencies.

“More broadly, it’s resulted in a shift in the way that we internally think about the centre and what the goals are and what we’re trying to accomplish,” she said.

Doug Johnson, AMS president, said proposals are in the works for a library occupancy app, one of the initiatives stipulated in team JDL’s platform. He said contrary to what some people may have believed, the app won’t identify how many people are sitting in Stauffer Library at any given time, but will be designed to track the traffic going in and out of the building.

The AMS is currently working with companies in the US and the UK to determine an appropriate model, he said.

“There are a couple of stipulations the AMS needs before we do this.” The team declined to comment on the status of many of the initiatives proposed in their 46-page platform, pending an announcement that will be made next week.

See Tuesday’s issue of the Journal for an update.

AMS, renovations