Scorching start cools Carleton

Weekend shutouts of Excalibur and Ravens allow tenacious men’s team to extend unbeaten streak

The men’s soccer team currently sits first in the OUA East Division
Image by: Alex Choi

Gaels winger Nathan Klemencic celebrated with cartwheels, handsprings, and a flip after scoring in a 4-0 win over the second-place Carleton Ravens on Sunday.

Queen’s (4-0-1) extended their unbeaten streak on the weekend, shutting out both the Trent Excalibur (1-3-1) and Carleton (4-1-0) on their way to claiming the lead in the OUA East division.

Carleton won the OUA East last season, and hadn’t lost in 2012 before Sunday’s game.

Head coach Chris Gencarelli said scoring early is a key to the team’s success.

“We need to make sure we continue to have strong starts to games,” he said. “It really does set the tone for the rest of the game.”

Fifth-year forward Adrian Rochford provided the Gaels with an early go-ahead goal against Trent on Saturday. To start the second-half, Rochford played a through-ball to forward Patrick Zanetti, who finished to put Queen’s up 2-0.

“Trent’s a tough team to play at home,” Gencarelli said. “I was happy to get the three points and set ourselves for Carleton.”

The Gaels started Sunday’s game against the Ravens with the wind at their back, and took advantage of the long-ball in the first half. Klemencic opened the game’s scoring from a ball over the top of Carleton’s defence in the 14th minute of play.

“[Klemencic’s] fitness scores are through the roof,” Gencarelli said. “His work-rate is second to none, and as a result, he finds success.”

Klemencic kept the pressure on in the first half, hitting the crossbar in the 17th minute before setting up Zanetti for an open-net goal 10 minutes later.

Midfielder Chris Michael followed up Zanetti’s goal with another quick tally from 20 yards out in the 30th minute.

Gencarelli said the team’s depth is one of its assets this year.

“It’s nice to have guys that can fit in right away,” he said. “Everyone offers something different on the field, but they’re playing to their strengths, and that’s why they’re finding success on the field.”

Next weekend, the Gaels will defend their 4-0-1 record at home with a game Saturday against the Nipissing Lakers and Sunday against the Laurentian Voyageurs. Both games are set to start at 2:15 p.m.

Gencarelli, Men’s Soccer