Fired up for Limestone City

FIRExFIRE take the stage at Brandee’s this weekend

FIRExFIRE released their first solo album Signals earlier this year.
Image by: Supplied

Touring is a science — all you need is a place to crash and get food after midnight.

Upon hearing FIRExFIRE guitarist Chris Graham’s tour necessities, I suggested he try Bubba’s; because who doesn’t love a place open until 3 a.m. that serves pizza subs?

Graham said the band was up for pizza subs and any other greasy spoon eatery item after midnight, but poutine was always the favoured option.

“While we were on tour in Fredericton, we had a shawarma poutine. It was delicious in theory and delicious when we ate it, but not so delicious the morning after,” he said.

The group consists of Chris Graham, Jon Fedorsen, Scott Winter and Brynn Winter, a former Queen’s graduate.

Chris, Jon and Scott previously played together in The Framework, however the departure of their bassist caused what seemed an inevitable dissolution — perhaps things had run their course. But just as the late stages of the band seemed to draw near, a particular email redirected the band’s efforts.

“Friends of ours who played in YouTube sensation band Atomic Tom, emailed me and asked if I knew any bands [that] could open for their Toronto show,” Graham said. “We didn’t want to pass up the chance to play that show, so the three of us got together and knew what needed to be done.”

In an attempt to describe the band’s music, Graham says they’re “probably similar to modern music,” with similarities drawing from bands like The Strokes and Phoenix.

The band is currently on tour with their debut album Signals and making stops this month in Guelph, Kingston, Toronto and Peterborough after playing the North by Northeast Festival in June. Graham, who’s no stranger to touring, said seeing the crowds are the best part.

The band is definitely a group of night owls, and not only for late-night food pit stops.

“When we had a gig in Charlottetown, we played at 1 a.m. on a Monday night, but we still had people who partied with us until 4 a.m.,” Graham said.

The good nature of the band members was apparent through our whole conversation, especially at the end.

“We’re looking forward to rocking Kingston. Wait, that’s pretty cheesy. Let me think of something else to say … Brynn says ‘Go Gaels Go!’”

FIRExFIRE plays Brandee’s on Saturday at 11 p.m.

Brandee's, Chris Graham, FIRExFIRE