Four straight wins

Several scoring chances, few goals against RMC

It wasn’t pretty, but Queen’s came out with a 2-1 win.

The Gaels faced the Royal Military College Paladins on Saturday for a second time this season, extending their win streak to four games.

Queen’s (7-1-2) is unbeaten in their last eight OUA contests.

Saturday’s victory was sparked by early goals from strikers Breanna Burton and Jackie Tessier.

Burton scored two minutes into the game, while Tessier added the second marker in the 16th minute.

The Gaels outshot the Paladins 11-7. Rookie keeper Madison Tyrell started between the pipes, stopping six shots to secure the win.

Head coach Dave McDowell said RMC’s physical play kept the Gaels from scoring as much as they would like.

“It started off well, and we scored a couple of [early] goals,” he said. “But we should have finished many more.”

After starting fast, Queen’s began to fade near the end of the match, when a turnover in the defensive end led to a late Paladins goal.

“We kind of lost the plot a little bit over the last 20 minutes where they scored,” McDowell said. “It wasn’t quite as comfortable as it should have been, but it was three points.”

The last meeting between these two sides was in the season opener, where the Gaels won in a 6-0 blowout.

Co-captain Riley Filion thought Queen’s could have played better this time around.

“It wasn’t our best game. We couldn’t seem to put the ball in the net.” she said.

The Gaels will face the Ryerson Rams and Toronto Varsity Blues at home next weekend.

Gaels, RMC, Tessier, Women's soccer