Another losing weekend

Boag, Koposhynska back, but lack of offense hinders Gaels

Head coach Dave Wilson wasn’t pleased with his team’s performance last weekend.

The Gaels visited the Ryerson Rams on Friday, losing 67-47.

“I thought it was close to one of our worst performances of the year,” Wilson said. “We were out-hustled, out-rebounded and out-muscled.”

The Gaels’ loss against the Rams marked their longest losing skid of the season at three, which extended to four when they fell 60-55 to the Toronto Varsity Blues the following day.

The Gaels were beat by the Rams in every statistical category except rebounding.

“Ryerson has always been a rival of ours,” said guard Liz Boag, who returned to the lineup after missing four games due to injury. “[They’re] a team we’ve had an issue with in the past — it was a difficult loss.” The team’s fourth-quarter push wasn’t enough to overcome their deficit after being outscored in the previous three quarters.

“We very much struggled to put the ball in the hoop,” Wilson said. “It wasn’t a lack of effort or lack of execution for the most part … the ball just went in and out of the rim. We couldn’t get the finishes.”

The Gaels fared better in Saturday’s loss to Toronto, but shot just 24.1 per cent from the field to the Varsity Blues’ 36.8 per cent.

Fourth-year post Hanna Koposhynska returned to the line-up from injury, but struggled from the field. She made 1-14 field goals for the night, after playing just five minutes against Ryerson.

After only scoring four points on Friday, Jenny Wright bounced back with an all-around performance: 16 points, seven rebounds, five assists, six steals and one block.

Dave Wilson, Gaels, Liz Boag, OUA, women's basketball