Best of Kingston 2012-13

Over 150 people responded to the annual Best of Kingston survey, giving you a wide array of Kingston’s finest. Here are the results of our 2012-13 call for the best of the Limestone City.

Image supplied by: Graphic by Jonah Eisen and Janina Enrile; Compiled by Janina Enrile; Photo by Sam Koebrich

BEST STUDY SPOT

1. Stauffer Library

2. Douglas Library

3. CoGro

As the largest study spot on campus, Stauffer takes this category. Douglas, with its famed Harry Potter room, is a close second.

BEST PLACE FOR A PHOTO OP

1. The waterfront

2. Summerhill

3. Grant Hall and City Hall/Market Square

There’s nothing like spending a day out by Lake Ontario, so why not capture that in a photo?

BEST PLACE TO TAKE YOUR PARENTS

1. Pan Chancho

2. Harper’s Burger Bar

3. Chez Piggy

Since the warmer months are fast approaching, parents and students can dine together on Pan Chancho’s lunch menu under a patio umbrella.

BEST PLACE TO FIND HIDDEN GEMS

1. Phase Two

2. Brian’s Record Option

3. Cooke’s Fine Foods

When it comes to making the old new again, Phase Two is readers’ choice. If you’re feeling like growing your vinyl collection, head just step a few blocks away to Brian’s for a musical fix.

BEST ESTABLISHMENT THAT NO LONGER EXISTS

1. S&R Department Store

2. The Tea Store

3. MyBar

Incoming first-years likely won’t know about the glories of the S&R Department Store, nor will they understand the joys of a midnight rendezvous at MyBar.

BEST PLACE TO FIND A HANGOVER CURE

1. Morrison’s

2. Stooley’s

3. Wolfe Island Bakery

Conveniently located near the waterfront, the cool breeze might just help your hangover as you stumble out to Morrison’s for some eggs and a large coffee.

BEST SUSHI

1. Sima

2. Kame

3. Jina

People seem to be divided when it comes to their regular sushi hang-outs, but Sima returns for a second year as the Kingston favourite.

BEST LIVE MUSIC VENUE

1. The Mansion

2. The Grad Club

3. Sydenham United Church

If it’s live music you want, turn to The Mansion or The Grad Club, but The Mansion’s seven dollar schooners seem to keep it in first place.

BEST DATE SPOT

1. Woodenheads Gourmet Pizza

2. Chien Noir

3. Megalos

If your date’s in want of romantic mood lighting and a fine array of delicious food, look no further than the renowned Woodenheads.

BEST BURGER

1. Harper’s Burger Bar

2. The Works

3. Five Guys

In a very close race, Harper’s Burger Bar wins bragging rights as Kingston’s best burger.

BEST BAR

1. The Queen’s Pub

2. Kingston Brew Pub

3. The Mansion and Tir Nan Og

This is always a contentious category, but The Queen’s Pub wins the title of best-voted pub. You can’t argue with its proximity and half-price weekend night menu items.

BEST TWITTER ACCOUNT TO FOLLOW

1. @QueensUProblems

2. @KingstonPolice

3. @Kingstonist

If anything big happens at Queen’s or in Kingston, you’ll find out on this first place winner’s popular social media site first. Voters seem to like it as a place to rehash their student life problems best.

BEST FACEBOOK PAGE TO FOLLOW

1. Overheard at Queen’s

2. Humans of Kingston

3. Queens U Compliments

If you ever want to know about on-campus conversations between first-years or some strange morning-after recollections, don’t leave your laptop, just subscribe to Overheard.

BEST GROCERY STORE

1. John’s Delicatessen & Meat Market

2. Loblaw’s

3. Food Basics

John’s Deli packs a mean sandwich, so it’s said. With a grocery stock that goes beyond its deli and meat market, voters seem to favour the Princess St. and University Ave. grocer.

BEST INEXPENSIVE DATE IDEA

1. Skating at Market Square

2. Walk by the waterfront

3. Trivia Night at The Grad Club

Sometimes competition brings out the best in people, so take your date for a go-around at the skating rink, or challenge them over some beer at Trivia Night.

KINGSTON’S BEST-KEPT SECRET

1. John’s Delicatessen & Meat Market

2. Classic Video & Stuff’d Sandwiches

3. Golden Rooster

John’s Deli wins out once again. It looks like the student favourite may be a secret no more.

BEST PLACE TO FIND YOUR NEW HOBBY

1. Minotaur

2. Wallack’s Art & Drafting Supplies

3. 4-Colour, 8-Bit: Comics & Games and Brian’s Record Option

Be it board games, puzzles or knitting, Minotaur is your one-stop shop for finding a new way to procrastinate. Exams are coming up, after all.

BEST PLACE TO REVAMP YOUR WARDROBE

1. Urban Outfitters

2. Online shopping

3. Joe Fresh at Loblaw’s

Urban Outfitters may have won first place for another year, but voters are looking to online shopping to fulfill the clothing needs that Kingston can’t.

BEST PLACE TO FIX YOUR MISTAKES

1. Quick Sew

2. Tom’s Shoe Repair

3. Stitch It

Quick Sew wins by a landslide. Its convenient location at Princess and Barrie Streets make for easy student access when they’re in need of a quick fix.

See larger versions of the graphics here and here.

best of kingston, survey