Preliminary enrolment numbers released

Vice-provost presents this year’s enrolment numbers at senate

The University has released preliminary enrolment figures for the class of 2017, which are being used to highlight demographic trends in the student body.

There are currently 4,109 students in the class of 2017 – an increase of roughly two per cent from the year before – which was a target the University hoped to achieve, Ann Tierney, vice-provost and dean of student affairs, said.

Tierney, who presented the figures at Senate last Tuesday, said the female population has dropped three per cent from last year to 58 per cent of the incoming class, and the number of self-identified Aboriginal students has doubled from last year at 63 per cent.

The number of students at The Bader International Study Centre have fallen short by a few, she said.

The international student enrolment rate has increased very little over the past year. Five per cent of the class of 2016 were international students, while this year 5.2 per cent comprised the incoming class. The majority of the international students come from China, India and the north-eastern areas of the U.S.

The final enrolment rates won’t be finalized until November. Students are still settling in and are likely to switch programs and registration isn’t finalized, Tierney said.

– Abby Andrew

Admissions, Enrolment, Senate