Two ties on final weekend

Queen’s finishes fourth in the OUA

Laurentian held the Gaels to a scoreless draw on Saturday.
Image by: Sam Koebrich

Women’s soccer finished the regular season with a weekend of draws.

On Saturday, the Gaels (7-2-7) drew 0-0 against the Laurentian Voyageurs (6-3-7) at home. Queen’s outshot the Voyageurs 7-3, though ultimately neither team found the inside of the net.

On Sunday, the Gaels tied 2-2 with the Nipissing Lakers (4-7-5), twice claiming the lead only to see their advantage nullified by a conceded goal.

Head coach Dave McDowell wasn’t pleased with the results of Saturday’s game against Laurentian.

“There’s no accountability, you know … [it] was almost as if we’d played without forwards, to be honest with you,” he said. “Everybody on the team knows we score as a team but, in the end, when we get into position to get balls on nets and score, we have to do it.

“We haven’t done it enough this season,” he added, “and as a group we have not finished enough.”

The Gaels finally found their scoring touch on Sunday – but so did their opponent.

Striker Jennifer Siu scored for Queen’s in the sixth minute, though Nipissing midfielder Shannon Russell immediately responded two minutes later.

Defender Kyra Steer put the Gaels up again in the 20th minute, before Lakers midfielder Sara Dorval tied the game in the 60th minute.

In the beginning of the second half came a penalty shot for the Lakers that had to be repeated three times, with the referee citing players running in twice before the shot was taken.

Before the game began, the graduating Gaels were honored with flowers: Jennifer Siu, Meredith Raddysh, Alexis McKinty, Riley Filion, Mikyla Kay, Monique Czaczkowski, Kayla Crnic, Sabrina Carew and Melissa Jung.

“The result wasn’t really of great importance, so we rested some players in the second half and obviously got to play our seniors in the first half,” McDowell said.

“We don’t finish chances that we create, probably don’t create enough chances from positions that we get in, so … with playoffs coming up, we’re just going to have to do a better job,” he added.

Despite the two ties, Queen’s secured its spot at number four in the OUA East division. Going into the playoffs, McDowell is optimistic.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to dictate style of play a little bit and push the ball around, and create chances from there and hopefully finish a few,” he said.

The Gaels play the Laurentian Voyageurs tomorrow in the first round of the OUA playoffs. The game is at West Campus Field at 3 p.m.

Gaels, Laurentian, McDowell, Nipissing, Women's soccer