AMS revamps club status

New amendments seek to clarify role and process of ratification

Clare Bekenn
Image by: Chloe Sobel
Clare Bekenn

The AMS has launched a new policy to ease clubs into the ratification process, which has proved rocky in past years.

Amendments to AMS Policy Msnual 2, labeled Motion 6, were passed last Thursday by AMS Assembly to allow the policy to change.

The new policy will ensure that clubs are aware that they must re-ratify, or ratify, through email.

Information will also be posted in the Clubs Newsletter, as well as on the AMS website at least a month before the process, as some clubs were unaware they had to re-ratify this year, Clare Bekenn, AMS clubs manager, said.

New clubs must go through the ratification process in order to solidify their existence under the AMS umbrella. They must explain the club’s purpose and write a constitution that complies with AMS policy, Bekenn added.

Each year, previously-established AMS clubs must re-ratify with the AMS Clubs Office in order to affirm that their club’s constitution is compliant with AMS guidelines, Bekenn said.

She said many clubs were slow to ratify, or re-ratify this year, indicating a need for policy change.

“We still have some clubs re-ratifying now and the deadline was in May,” Bekenn said.

Bekenn and Kristen Olver, AMS commissioner of internal affairs, found the ratification policy to be unclear when they began their positions, said Bekenn.

“What we’re doing is solidifying [ratification] in policy for our year and future years so they better understand the position and what the mandate is,” Olver said.

Olver said the policy shouldn’t affect how clubs run.

“There shouldn’t be any change moving forward on the clubs end. It’s more a clarification for the teams moving forward,” she said. “If anything, clubs will just see a smoother notification process and a better understanding.”

Alex Morris, vice president (marketing and communications) of the Queen’s chapter of Engineers Without Borders Canada, said the club had no issues re-ratifying in May.

“Our team tends to be on top of stuff as an organization, so we tend to try and plan things ahead of time,” he said.

Morris said it’s a concern if some clubs were unaware they had to ratify, or re-ratify.

“I can understand not knowing that [ratification] was going on,” he said. “But at the same time it’s a part of what you do as a club.”

He said ultimately it’s up to clubs to ensure they are on time handing in documents.

“It’s always a good idea to give people a reminder of something, but generally it’s up to the club to take care of that themselves,” Morris said.

Policy