Late run leads to loss

Blowout win overshadowed by fourth-quarter struggles

Women’s basketball’s inability to close cost them a perfect weekend.

The Gaels (3-3) fell 66-62 to the Laurier Golden Hawks (5-1) last Friday and blew out the Waterloo Warriors (2-3) 60-43 on Saturday.

It was a back-and-forth affair against Laurier until the fourth quarter. The Gaels held onto a six-point lead with five minutes to play in the final frame, but allowed the Golden Hawks to go on a 12-2 run to close out the game.

Head coach Dave Wilson was disappointed with this particular loss.

“We did so many things well in that game, especially in our offensive reads,” he said. “It’s like there was a lid on the basketball at critical times.”

Wing Gemma Bullard, who finished with eight points, thought they were going to come out on top.

“There wasn’t really any point in that game where there was any doubt in my mind that we were going to win it,” Bullard said. “It was really disappointing [to lose], especially to a team that wasn’t as skilled as we were.

“They’re nothing special … we were definitely going into that confident,” she added.

Liz Boag led the Gaels with 17 points, while shooting 63 per cent from the field. She was perfect from beyond the arc, going 3-3.

Both teams shot well from the floor. The Gaels shot 43.1 per cent, while going 66.7 per cent from the three-point line. Laurier was 44.1 per cent from the field and 45.5 per cent from the three-point territory.

Against the Warriors, the Gaels had their first double-digit win of the season.

They had early troubles scoring in the first period, registering only eight points to the Warriors’ 19, but outscored them in every ensuing period and held Waterloo to only five points in the fourth quarter.

When the Gaels pulled ahead of the Warriors in the third quarter, Waterloo wasn’t able to come back to overtake them for the rest of the game.

Robyn Pearson had a monster game as she led the team in both points and rebounds with 16 apiece. Boag was held scoreless in the game.

The Gaels will return home this weekend to face the McMaster Marauders (5-1) and the Brock Badgers (4-2) on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

Gaels, Laurier, Waterloo, Wilson, women's basketball